|Based on Board Policy:||A-4, Student Goal Achievement|
|Recommended by Council/President:||Academic and Campus Affairs Council|
|Date Approved/Amended:||12/02/1998; amended 04/04/08|
Austin Community College District is committed to providing high quality education that enables students to continue their education through transfer or to obtain employment.
Austin Community College guarantees to its Associate of Arts and Associate of Science graduates who receive a degree in January 1993, and thereafter, that course credits will transfer to other public-supported Texas colleges or universities provided the following conditions are met:
1. Transferability means acceptance of credit toward a specific major as of the 1993 spring semester or thereafter.
2. Limitations on specific courses, total number of credits accepted in transfer, grades required, relevant grade point average, and duration of transferability apply as stated in the general undergraduate catalog and transfer equivalencies of the receiving institution.
3. The course(s) must be listed in the appropriate degree plan in the Austin Community College Catalog and in a degree plan filed in the student's records in the Admission and Records Office of Austin Community College.
4. Only college-level courses are included in this guarantee.
If all of the above conditions are met and one or more courses is not accepted in transfer by a receiving institution, the student must notify the Executive Vice President & Provost at Austin Community College within 10 days of notice of transfer credit denial so that the "Transfer Dispute Resolution" process can be initiated.
If course denial is not resolved, Austin Community College will allow the student to take alternate courses tuition-free (up to the semester hour value of the denied courses), which are acceptable to the receiving institution. This guarantee applies for a one-year period from the date the degree is awarded. The graduate is responsible for payment of any fees, books or other course-related expenses associated with the alternative course or courses.
Guarantee for Job Competency
Austin Community College guarantees to its Associate of Applied Science degree recipients and Certificate program graduates that if the graduate is judged by his/her employer to be lacking in technical job skills directly identified in course content for his/her specific program, the graduate will be provided up to nine tuition-free credit hours of additional skill training by Austin Community College. Special conditions which apply to the guarantee include the following:
1. The graduate must have earned the Certificate or Associate of Applied Science degree no earlier than January 1993.
2. The graduate must have completed the Certificate or Associate of Applied Science Degree with a majority of credits earned at Austin Community College, and must have completed the certificate or degree within a five-year time span.
3. The graduate must be employed full-time in an area directly related to the area of program concentration as certified by the appropriate dean at ACC.
4. Employment must have commenced within 12 months of graduation.
5. The employer must certify in writing that the employee is lacking entry-level skills identified by Austin Community College as program content and must specify the areas of deficiency within 90 days of the graduate's initial employment.
6. The employer, graduate, Austin Community College Dean and appropriate faculty member(s) will develop a written education plan for retraining.
7. Retraining will be limited to nine credit hours related to the identified skill deficiency and to those classes regularly scheduled during the period covered by the retraining plan.
8. All retraining must be completed within a calendar year from the time the educational plan is agreed upon.
9. The graduate and/or employer is responsible for the cost of books, insurance, uniforms, fees and other course-related expenses.
10. The guarantee does not imply that the graduate will pass any licensing or qualifying examination for a particular career.
A student's sole remedy against Austin Community College and its employees under this guarantee shall be limited to nine semester hours of tuition-free education under the conditions described above. Activation of this policy may be initiated by contacting the office of the Vice President of Workforce Education & Business Development within 90 days of the graduate's initial employment.
|President/CEO:||Stephen B. Kinslow||Date:||07/29/10|