|Subject:||Counseling and Advising Services to Students||AR#||1.04.007|
|Based on Board Policy:||A-4, Student Goal Achievement|
|Approved by Council/President:||Student Services Council|
|Date Approved/Amended:||04/04/1988; amended 10/14/98, 07/31/00, 03/04/10|
The Austin Community College District Student Success Initiative is a college commitment to enhance learning and success for all students. Equity of student success is a hallmark goal for Austin Community College. The advising and counseling services will provide the support students need to achieve their educational goals.
1. Advising and counseling services offered at ACC will adhere to Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) guidelines.
2. Counselors and advisors will assist students in developing an Educational Plan that will include:
A. A declared major
B. A degree plan (certificate or associate degree)
C. Course planning, to include developmental education course requirements
D. Transfer planning
E. Career goals
F. Support Services
3. Counselors counsel and advise students who:
A. Are academically underprepared and are required to enroll in developmental education courses
B. Have not declared a major
C. Do not have the academic status of “good standing”
D. Have not met Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) to receive financial aid
4. Advisors advise students who:
A. Are academically underprepared and are required to enroll in one skill area of developmental education courses
B. Are academically prepared for college level courses
C. Have a declared major
D. Have the academic status of “good standing”
5. Counselors will provide short-term intervention, crisis counseling for students with issues that affect their academic performance, academic progress or achievement of their post-secondary education and career development goals. Advisors and Counselors will refer students needing long-term assistance to external providers.
6. Faculty advise continuing students who are Texas Success Initiative complete, have a declared major, and are in academic good standing.
|President/CEO:||Stephen B. Kinslow||Date:||07/20/11|