Utilizing critical thinking and the nursing process, the student is expected to:
- Distinguish between laws affecting nursing practice and a professional code of ethics.
Distinguish between the purpose of the state board of nursing and professional nursing organizations.
Examine components of the Nursing Practice Act & Rules and Regulations of the Board of Nurse Examiners for the State of Texas (answer these questions):
- Sources of law: statutory, administrative, and judicial law
- Code of ethics
- Rationale for having a code of ethics
- ANA code of ethics: Primary values of the profession:
- respect for human dignity,
- nurses’ primary commitment to the patient and
- nurses’ protection of patient privacy
Discuss " Standards of Practice" for all nurses and their relationship to expected behaviors of nursing students.
Discuss these elements of a client's rights.
- State the mission of the State Board of Nurse Examiners. Regulation of nursing practice and educationRead the definition of professional nursing (scroll down to Sec. 301.002 "definitions". Do you think you can call yourself a nurse in the State of Texas, if you do not have a license to practice? In other words do we have a mandatory nurse practice act?
Distinguish between the following terms: ethics, values, morals.
Discuss factors which impact the formation of values.
Describe the process of values clarification and its value to professional nursing practice.
Apply principles of ethics to situations in nursing practice:
Discuss the nature of an ethical dilemma
Distinguish between guides for addressing ethical issues as they arise in nursing practice:
- Processes for ethical decision making
- Resolving ethical dilemmas
- Advanced Directives
- Medical Power of Attorney for Health Care
- Ethics committee
- Ethics forum