Fundamentals of estimating materials and labor costs in construction.
Students learn the basics of cost estimating and how to develop takeoffs to create estimates for equipment, labor and materials for a project. Students will read blueprints and interpret building specifications to verify dimensions, components and the total count of those components.
- Instruction in estimating
- Contracts, bonds and insurance
- The estimate
- Overhead and Contingencies
- Labor and equipment
- Excavation, Concrete
- Wood, framing
- Thermal and moisture protection
- Doors and windows
- Finishes: Exterior and Interior
- Final: Estimating a house plan
or department approval or department approval
Syllabus is available on the current semester's schedule page
Want some practice estimating with a spreadsheet?
Use this Cost To Build A House guide (PDF) with the provided spreadsheet template:
- Log into a Gmail account such as your ACCMail or general Gmail. If you are not logged into GMail, you can only download the spreadsheet and open it in Excel.
- Open the Estimate Template Spring 2015. This is View Only so no changes can be made
- Click on File > Make a copy. Optionally change the name, Copy of Estimate Template Spring 2015 to whatever you wish.
- Now the spreadsheet is in your Drive*; you can open it and begin working on the exercise..
Need to review spreadsheet basics? View or download the handout Using Spreadsheets for Construction (PDF).