Students interested in science and math are offered an exceptional opportunity to study in the Biotechnology and Environmental Sciences, Geology, Physics, Engineering & Astronomy departments at Austin Community College (ACC) with a scholarship grant recently awarded by the National Sciences Foundation (NSF). This scholarship will go to talented and financially-needy students attending full-time coursework to complete the degrees listed below. Completion of a two-year program in either department will allow students to be immediately qualified for the job market, or to continue their education towards a baccalaureate program at a four-year college or university. This is a generous scholarship program that will cover all tuition, fees and a living stipend up to $3000 a semester.
Eligible degree programs:
- Associate of Applied Science in Biotechnology
- Associate of Applied Science in Environmental Science and Technology
- Associate of Science in Environmental Science and Technology
- Geology, Physics, Engineering & Astronomy degrees
In order to apply for the S-STEM Scholarship, the applicants must:
- Submit the FAFSA-Free Application for Federal Student Aid (www.fafsa.gov) to ACC (school code 012015) by the application deadline to demonstrate financial need as determined by the FAFSA. (Rejected FAFSA’s will not be considered.)
- Plan on enrolling full time (at least 12 credit hours each Fall and Spring and 9 credit hours in the Summer).
- Be pursuing an associate degree program or advanced technical certificate for either Biotechnology or Environmental Science (major must be declared with the ACC Admissions and Records Office.)
- Be a U.S. Citizen or eligible noncitizen.
- Have an overall GPA of 3.0, with GPA of 3.2 in STEM courses for current college students; have an overall GPA of 3.0 in any college work for students coming out of high school; OR have a 650 in GED math and science for Adult Education students.
- Complete all requirements for Texas Success Initiative (TSI) readiness.
- For childcare requests, provide proof of parentage for each child if applying for childcare expenses. Examples of proof of parentage: birth certificate or adoption papers. To request proof of parentage, go to Texas Vital Statistics web: http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/vs/reqproc/vsulocations.shtm
For information about job opportunities, training, and trends in the industry, please check out the Bio-link regional center page (www.bio-link.org). Austin Community College is part of the Bio-link network as serves as a regional headquarter.
Here is a short video about Biotechnology ACC Biotech Video. If you would like to purchase this video, here are the instructions . If you have any problems viewing this, please call 512-223-5915.