Texas' Campus Carry Law
Signed by Gov. Greg Abbott in summer 2015, Senate Bill 11 (SB 11) allows individuals with a License to Carry a Handgun (LTC) to carry a handgun while on Texas public university and college campuses as long as the weapon is not visible. Beginning August 1, 2017, the law will also impact Texas community colleges.
License to Carry Requirements
LTC holders must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 21 years old, or at least 18 if military,
- Meet federal qualifications to own a gun,
- Receive training from an instructor certified by the Texas Department of Public Safety,
- Pass a written exam,
- Pass a proficiency demonstration,
- Have no felony convictions,
- Be fingerprinted, and
- Have a License to Carry with you when carrying a handgun
Read Texas Senate Bill 11 in its entirety.