Pictures from the project
Garage apartment plan
Progress has been pretty slow lately. I went back to work teaching, and Richard started working in the Solar Power industry (which will come in handy soon...), installing solar systems. We've also spent a lot of time and energy re-thinking some of our earlier decisions, removing nails, and redoing them better. While it was discouraging at the time, it will pay off in the end.
Hopefully next month will bring some more visible changes.
A 10 in 12 pitch roof is pretty hard to work on. We use ropes and staging for everything we do. Here I am working on the dormer sheathing.
This is me again, rolling out the first course of underlayment. The A-frame on the right is (noticeably) homemade. They are handy, but really hard to move. The ladders and ladder jacks holding up this board I'm standing on are new, and much more portable.
Each course of underlayment requires its own staging. We are mostly using these roof jacks in between the layers. Sometimes you can reach up for the next two rows by first laying down this small ladder in front of Richard.
The front of the house is now protected by Titanium UDL, a synthetic roof underlayment. This stuff is great - it can be left for 6 months without roof shingles, and it is another layer of radiant barrier. The underside of our roof sheathing is a reflective surface also.
The same view from farther away. This is what it looks like now.