Tuition Exemption for Peace Officers Enrolled in
Law Enforcement or Criminal Justice Courses Policies and Procedures
Eligible peace officers, enrolled in one or more courses offered as part of a law enforcement or criminal justice degree or certificate program, are exempt from paying tuition; ACC does not have laboratory fees.
Eligibility: In order to use the tuition waiver you must be currently employed as a peace officer by this state or a political subdivision in Texas. The tuition waiver is only available from the Criminal Justice Department Chair.
To qualify you must:
- Meet the above eligibility requirement.
- Provide original documentation, on department letterhead, of your current employment as a peace officer by this state or a political subdivision in Texas.
- Be enrolled in an eligible law enforcement-related or criminal justice degree or certificate program (declare Criminal Justice AAS as your major)
- Be in compliance with the ACC financial aid satisfactory academic progress requirements http://www.austincc.edu/support/financialaid/progress.php
- Apply for the exemption waiver at least one week before the last day of regular registration period for that semester
- While classified as a resident student for tuition purposes at any Texas public institution of higher education, have not previously attempted a number of semester credit hours in excess of the maximum number specified in TEC Section 61.0595 (a). (30 hours beyond the degree requirement).
Eligible Courses: Only undergraduate courses pertaining to the major requirements of law enforcement- related and criminal justice degree or certificate programs are eligible for the tuition and laboratory fees exemption.
The following Criminal Justice courses are eligible for this tuition exemption:
- CJSA 1348 Ethics in Criminal Justice
- CRIJ 1301 Introduction to Criminal Justice
- CRIJ 1306 Court Systems and Practices
- CRIJ 1307 Crime in America
- CRIJ 1310 Fundamentals of Criminal Law
- CRIJ 1313 Juvenile Justice System
- CRIJ 2313 Correctional Systems and Practices (only as part of the Law Enforement degree)
- CRIJ 2314 Criminal Investigation
- CRIJ 2323 Legal Aspects of Law Enforcement
- CRIJ 2328 Police Systems and Practices
The exemption does not apply to:
- Courses that make up the general education core curriculum required for all colleges (example of courses not covered by this exemption: English, Math, Government, History, Psychology, Sociology, Humanities/ Visual Performing Arts)
- Courses that are not law enforcement or criminal justice courses, even if they are included in the law enforcement-related or criminal justice degree or certificate program in which an individual is enrolled.
- Continuing education classes for which the college receives no state tax support.
- Out of District Fee: $142 per credit hour. This fee is charged to Texas resident students who live outside the ACC tax district.
- General fee: $13 per credit hour.
- Student activity fee: $2 per credit hour.
- Student Accident Insurance: $3 per year (non-refundable after class start)
This fee charged to every student registered at ACC for accidental injury insurance on campuses and for college sponsored activities.
- Sustainability fee: $1 per credit hour
- Student Parking fee: $15 per year (optional)
Requesting an Exemption Waiver:
- To request a tuition exemption waiver, you must have been advised by the criminal justice department and have a current degree tracking sheet on file.
- You must request the tuition exemption waiver at least one week before the last day of regular registration period for that semester
- You must provide a letter from your employer on letterhead certifying your current employment. The letter must include your name, rank / position, dates of employment, PID number, ACC ID number, and must have an original signature by your Chief/Supervisor. (No photocopies or faxes will be accepted.)
- The exemption waivers will be awarded on a 1st come basis. ACC will not provide tuition exemption for more than 20% of the maximum enrollment for that class.
- You are required to register and pay any additional fees by the posted deadline. If you do not register and/or pay on time another student may enroll in your spot and you will need to register for another section of the course or have to wait until the next term that the course is offered.
- You are required to submit a new letter of employment and waiver for every every term that you request the exemption.
The Criminal Justice Department will submit the exemption waiver along with the letter of employment to the Student Accounting Office.
Note: The Peace Officer Tuition exemption is only for tuition. ACC does not have any lab fees. The student will be responsible for paying any additional fees by the posted payment deadline..