- General Emergencies
- Medical Emergencies
- Severe Weather/Outdoor Hazards
- Gunman on Campus
- Contacting a Student in an Emergency
- Students with Disabilities
The Austin Community College District has procedures in place to help ensure the safety of students during an emergency. Emergency instruction signs are posted in each campus classroom. They indicate evacuation routes, outside rally locations, and indoor shelter-in-place areas. Administrators-in-charge and emergency evacuation coordinators are designated in all facilities to assist students and staff in an emergency.
To reach the ACC Police Department dial 222 from any campus phone or 223.7999 from any cell phone, pay phone, or off-campus phone. The ACC Police Department can better determine your location and will notify the local police and fire departments.
In the case of severe bleeding, breathing problems, or chest pains, call 911. For other medical emergencies, contact the ACC Police Department by dialing 222 from any campus phone or 223.7999 from any cell phone, pay phone, or off-campus phone.
Severe Weather/Outdoor Hazards
In cases of severe weather or other dangerous conditions outdoors, students will be directed to shelter-in-place areas inside the building. Do not go outside or move to another building. Do not use elevators
Upon being alerted by a public address system, alarm, or campus administrator, students will move immediately to shelter-in-place areas indicated on the emergency signs posted in each classroom. Shelter-in-place areas are located in the lowest floor possible of the building, in the center of the building, and away from glass.
Upon hearing a continuous alarm or verbal warning, students should evacuate the building immediately and move to the fire evacuation rally location indicated on the emergency signs posted in each classroom. Do not run. Do not use elevators.
- Leave the building through the nearest exit
- Take personal belongs if they are in the same room
- Close all doors behind you. Do not lock them
- Report to fire evacuation rally location. You must be accounted for at rally location
- Students and staff will be permitted to re-enter the building when the administrator-in-charge or emergency evacuation coordinator gives a verbal "all clear" signal
Gunman on Campus
- Contact the ACC Police Dispatch by dialing 222 from any campus phone or 223.7999 from any cell phone, pay phone, or off-campus phone.
- Turn off lights, close and lock doors.
- Get on the floor out of the line of fire. Seek available cover.
- Wait until an "All Clear" given by a police officer or authorized, known voice
Contacting a Student in an Emergency
With thousands of students at different locations, it is not possible for staff to contact students on campus except in cases of emergency. Staff members may inquire about the nature of the emergency and decide whether the student should be contacted. In order to contact students, campus staff will need the student's ID number and class schedule.
When students anticipate someone may need to contact them on campus, they should leave the necessary information in the campus manager's office. Under no circumstances will ACC permit persons to search for students on campus.