Congratulations on achieving this milestone!
We want your commencement ceremony to be a pleasant, meaningful experience. Below you will find some helpful information to make your commencement a success.
Arrival & check-in
- Graduates should arrive no later than 5 p.m. Traffic near the Frank Erwin Center, where commencement is held, will be congested. Allow extra travel time so you don't miss this important event.
- Graduates enter through the Red River street-level door. Bring your cap and gown.
- Attendants will direct you to the Lone Star Room for check-in. (No guests or children are allowed; please see information for guests.)
- Upon check-in, you will receive "reader" cards indicating your name and address. Present these cards to announcers before you cross the stage.
- Plan to leave purses and other valuables with family or friends. You also may leave items in the Lone Star Room during the ceremony.
Caps & gowns
To participate in commencement, you must be dressed in the appropriate cap and gown. You can purchase graduation caps, tassels, and black gowns from the ACC Bookstore. The cost to purchase graduation wear is approximately $49.00. If you have access to a black cap and gown in good condition, you may wear them. You still must purchase the tassel.
- You must present your graduation letter at the bookstore to purchase graduation wear. Letters are sent to eligible graduates approximately six weeks before commencement.
- Select a tassel color according to your degree:
- White: Associate of Arts, Associate of Arts in Teaching
- Gold: Associate of Science, Associate of Applied Science, Certificate
- Black: GED
ACC encourages graduates who do not wish to keep their regalia to donate it back to the college -- it's the 'green' thing to do! All donated regalia will be made available to future graduates who would not otherwise be able to attend graduation without it.
You are encouraged to make any childcare arrangements well in advance. Children are not allowed to sit with graduates or wander the arena without supervision during the ceremony.
Diplomas will be mailed approximately six to eight weeks after the end of each semester. If you should move in the meantime, please update your address by sending an email from your ACC email account to email@example.com with your name, ID number, and new address.
December commencement is open to students who received a degree or certificate in the preceding summer semester or candidates who apply to graduate in the fall. May commencement is open to degree/certificate candidates who apply for the spring.
You can purchase commencement invitations online only. Balfour conveniently packages popular items for easy ordering. Each package contains:
- personalized photo announcements
- thank you notes
- envelope seals
- return address labels
- photo announcement cover
Graduates may also order additional individual items. Visit CB Announcements / Balfour to place your order.
Parking is available in garages and on the surrounding streets, at varying costs. The new UT Health Center Building garage is the closest walking access to the Erwin Center. The Trinity Parking garage is also nearby and within walking distance. A map of the area parking garages can be found here.
For mobility-impaired passengers, vehicle drivers may drop off or pick up passengers at the small surface lot #118, located on the north side of the Erwin Center. Access to this lot is on the southbound I-35 frontage road, just south of Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
A professional photographer will take photographs as you walk across the stage to receive your diploma cover and after you exit the stage. Graduate images will be posted on the photographer's website 2-5 days after the commencement ceremony. Proofs will be mailed 1-2 weeks after the commencement ceremony, and emailed to the address on your reader card. There is no obligation to purchase.
For everyone's safety and convenience, graduates must remain at their seats before and after being called to the stage for the duration of the program. Graduates may take photographs from their seats. Graduates may not move about the arena floor, the stage, or backstage to take photographs, nor should graduates take photographs during the procession or while walking across the stage.
College personnel will organize the procession; you are asked to follow their instructions at all times. Do not stop before you arrive at your seat.
IMPORTANT: Graduates should remain in place until the ceremony concludes with the recessional music. If you arrive after the processional, ushers will seat you if you are wearing your cap and gown.
Smoking, Food, and Drink Prohibited
Smoking, food, and drink are prohibited inside the arena. Light refreshments will be available in the concourse following the ceremony.