Early College Start
FAQs For Parents

When can my child start taking ACC classes?

High school students may co-enroll in Austin Community College once they have successfully completed their sophomore year in either a public school, private school, charter school, or home school

How old does my child have to be to start the program?

Although there is no specific age requirement, a student who has not completed his/her sophomore year of high school may not be permitted to enroll at Austin Community College as an early college start student.

Pre-Juniors may be admitted through a separate admission criteria. For more information please see: Guideline for Granting Exceptions to Admissions Age Requirement (PDF)

How much will I have to pay?

Tuition and fees are waived for Early College Start students enroll in a Core Curriculum, Workforce course required for an ACC workforce certificate or degree, foreign language, or KINE 1304 & KINE 1305 and who reside in the ACC tax district including: Austin, Del Valle, Elgin, Hays, Leander, Manor, and Round Rock school districts, and those portions of the Pflugerville and Eanes school districts that pay property taxes to the City of Austin.  ECS students will be limited to a total of 12 ACC course tuition/fee waivers.  Any course taken once the 12 course limit is reached or a course not eligible for the ECS tuition and fees waiver will be assessed regular tuition and fees based on the student's residency.

Early College Start students residing outside the ACC tax district and within the ACC service area are charged a $75 per-course fee for courses taken at ACC campuses or via Distance Learning for courses that are ECS tuition and fees eligible.

Books, supplies, and parking fees are the responsibility of the student and can average $100 per course.

Can I attend class with my child?

No, unless you meet the individual requirements and register for the course as a student, you will not be able to attend class with your child.

If my child must miss a day of school, can I attend class in their place?

No, only students who are registered for the class may attend.

Where can my child take ECS classes?

Students can attend any ACC campus or Center. We also work with serivce area high schools to offer a selection of courses on various high school campuses. Please see our Online Schedule of Classes to see if classes are offered at your child's high school campus: Online Schedule

Where can my child go for advising if they missed the advising session at the high school?

Students may visit any ACC campus Advising Office

An important note: After meeting with an Advisor at a campus, the student MUST submit their ECS paperwork to the Admissions & Records Office on campus for processing.

Is an appointment necessary for advising at an ACC campus?

Advising at an ACC campus is in on a first-come-first-serve basis; no appointment needed. Please contact your closest campus for on-campus advising hours.

What does my child need to bring with them for advising?

New Students:

  • Completed ECS Co-Enrollment Form (with all required signatures)
  • Copy of Test Scores (PSAT, PLAN, SAT, ACT, STAAR)

Returning Students:

  • Completed ECS Co-Enrollment Form
  • Copy of Test Scores (PSAT, PLAN, SAT, ACT)

I am trying to register my son/daughter for these classes and I am receiving an error message, why am I unable to register them?

There may be several reasons for receiving this message. Please have the student contact our offices directly so that we can help them determine an appropriate course of action.

Remember, we will not be able to disclose information to anyone other than the student, even parents.