The purpose of the Professional-Technical Emergency Fund of Austin Community College’s Association of Professional-Technical Employees (APTE) is to provide financial assistance to professional-technical employees who face catastrophic situations that affect their ability to perform their jobs or responsibilities. Outlined below are the guidelines for disbursement of the funds, the source of which will be donations and various fundraising efforts.
For additional information please visit to the APTE website.
- Significant medical expenses not covered by insurance for employee, spouse/significant life partner living in same household for at least twelve months, or dependent
- Loss of housing due to fire or natural disaster
- Loss of transportation for employee when insurance does not cover temporary conveyance
- Travel funds for an employee for the purpose of attending a funeral of immediate family members as defined by ACC’s bereavement policy (see Employee Handbook for details)
- Expenses resulting from other catastrophic situation as specified on request form.
- The professional-technical employee will complete the Professional-Technical Emergency Fund Request Form located on the APTE website or under General Forms on the Human Resources website.
- The professional-technical employee or his/her designee will provide documentation regarding the emergency situation (e.g., relevant medical bills, insurance forms, etc.) and a letter outlining their need.
- The request form, documentation, and letter will be submitted by the employee or his/her designee to the Chair of the Professional-Technical Emergency Fund Committee or the APTE President in the event the Chair is not available.
- The Professional-Technical Emergency Fund Committee will review the information and determine if the applicant is eligible within 2 working days of receipt of the required materials. The committee will make every effort to expedite all processes related to the administration of the fund and to exceed deadlines whenever possible.
- The employee will be notified of the Committee’s decision by the Chair of the Committee or the APTE President within 24 hours of the decision.
- Once the request has been approved by a majority vote, funds will be disbursed as soon as possible and no later than 48 hours following the decision.
- Only the Committee Chair and budget authority will be aware of the requestor’s identity.
Any professional-technical employee may apply to this fund after completing the College’s 180-day initial period of employment.
Priority of Requests
- The Committee will prioritize requests based on the severity of need.
- Additional information may be required from requestors.
Review Committee - To serve two-year terms
- APTE officer
- Emergency Fund Chair or alternate
- 2 Professional-Technical employees
- VP, Human Resources or designee
Committee members will maintain confidentiality regarding all information reviewed.
- No disbursement shall exceed a maximum of $400.00.
- Disbursements will be approved on the basis of funds available, with a minimum fund balance of $100.00 being maintained at all times.
- Donations may be made to this fund by making a check payable to ACC. Write APTE Emergency Fund in the Memo line of the check and take it to the Cashier's office on any campus.
- Donations may be made by payroll deduction.