The OSD helps faculty provide students with appropriate accommodations in a fair and timely manner. For questions about the appropriateness of a required accommodation, consult the OSD Coordinator or Specialist at the campus where the student is taking classes.
Faculty should not refuse to provide required accommodations, ask the student to disclose his or her disability, discuss in front of the class that the student is registered with OSD, or request to examine the student's documentation.
- Privately address accommodation issues with students who have a letter from OSD. Although the student is responsible for discussing accommodation needs, faculty should establish a welcoming environment.
- Accommodations allow the student to comprehend course material and communicate that comprehension to the instructor. Accommodations may not alter the fundamental nature of the course or program.
- If a student requests accommodations but has no official documentation from OSD, the instructor should help student contact OSD. If the disability is obvious (use of a wheelchair, hearing aids, service dog, etc.) and the requested accommodation is appropriate, instructors should provide the accommodation while paperwork is completed. Otherwise, instructors are not obligated to provide requested accommodations unless notified by an OSD Accommodation Request Form.
Before the Semester Begins:
- Provide course materials (syllabus, textbook list, handouts, etc.) to the OSD to be converted to the appropriate format for students with visual impairments or reading disabilities.
- Include the following statement in your syllabus and make an announcement in class encouraging students who need accommodations to contact OSD:
During the Semester:
- Review and discuss with your class evacuation procedures for your classroom and building.
- Make sure that audiovisual materials are captioned for deaf students.
- Contact OSD for help providing accommodations for any students with a disability n your classes.
- Complete an Exam Assistance Request Form and attach exams to be administered and/or proctored by OSD at least one week before the scheduled date of the exam.