Department of Financial Management & Mortgage Banking
Financial Management Advising Information
Information which follows is specific for the Financial Management degree.

This information is provided in addition to information you may find in the catalog. Please remember that requirements change and that these requirements change from time to time and can differ among universities. Students should always consult faculty advisors and/or catalogs of universities to which they plan to transfer.

Our Finance courses are beneficial for anyone who wishes to gain the knowledge, skills, and confidence to take charge of their own financial future.  It is crucial in today’s economy to develop critical thinking skills with respect to financial planning. You will learn to appreciate the power of compound interest and gain control of your financial situation. We believe everyone should take Busg 1304 Introduction to Financial Advising. This course will help you become financially responsible, learn to save regularly, and learn to use credit wisely.

The majority of the Financial Management courses are specialized mortgage banking courses. An individual that desires a job in this industry should start the course work with RELE 1324 - Loan Origination. Most of the advanced mortgage banking courses do not have textbooks so it is imperative that the student attend all classes. In addition a number of these advanced courses are only offered once a year.

What Do I Need to Know To Get Started?

Austin Community College maintains an "open door" admissions policy. No entrance or SAT examination is required. A registration application can be submitted any time prior to or during the registration process. Any student who has not earned at least three college-level credit hours prior to fall 1989 must complete the state mandated TSI College-Readiness Standards test. ACC also gives an assessment test to new students and to transfer students with less than nine hours. Performance on these exams does not prevent admission to ACC but may affect what developmental courses you are required to take before you can take college-level courses. See the ACC Catalog for details.

You may elect to have your previous coursework from an accredited institution of higher education evaluated for transfer credit and the credits may be applied toward a degree program here at ACC. A transcript will be evaluated after you have registered for ACC college-credit classes: and it will be evaluated only upon your request. To request an evaluation you must complete an evaluation request form that can be obtained in the campus admissions offices or by contacting one of our departmental advisors: Ina Midkiff at or 1-512-223-2072 or Nick Sarantakes at or 1-512-223-3271.

  1. What is my educational goal?
  2. Why should I consider starting with a Certificate?
  3. What if I am unsure of my educational goals?
  4. I have credits from other colleges, which may count towards the associate's degree. What should I do?
  5. May I receive credit for work experience?
  6. May I receive credit for challenge exams?
  7. Do Developmental courses count toward any of the degree plans?
  8. What Mathematics Course Should I take?
  9. have been working towards an associate of applied science degree (non-transferable). Now I see that the Business Administration degree is better. Is there anyway to salvage my marketing or fashion courses?
  10. What is an Internship or Practicum and must I complete an Internship in order to receive a degree?
  11. What’s the difference between Academic courses and WECM courses?
  12. Is there anything else I should know?
  13. What is the Rule of Three?
  14. What are the consequences for receiving a "W" in a course?
  15. Useful Links

What Is My Educational Goal?

You must first determine your educational goals before you can address which degree plan you should pursue at ACC. If you intend to transfer to a four-year institution in pursuit of a baccalaureate degree in finance, you need to pursue the Associate of Science Degree in Business Administration at ACC. This degree plan transfers to most four-year schools. If you do not intend to transfer to a four-year school, you may pursue a business related Associate of Applied Science degree, or Certificate which is Non-transferrable, in Financial Management, Marketing, Fashion Merchandising, and Real Estate. (Put links to depts.)

Why should I consider starting with a Certificate?

We offer the following certificate in finance
Certificates in our area are not TSI mandated. This means you can delay your developmental math courses and determine if you like the subject before deciding if this is the degree for you. Completing a certificate is also a good measure that you are progressing towards an associate and could help you advance in your job.  If you decide to pursue a degree then you must take the required 15 hours of general education for TSI college-readiness.  It is not a good idea to put off these requirements indefinitely.  Once you decide to get a degree you should start dealing with TSI (Texas Success Initiative) college-readiness standards. Information for the Assessment test is at
If you want to review ACC’s developmental plan it is located at

What if I am unsure of my educational goals?

All of the specific two-year AAS degrees are very focused toward one area. The requirements in the AS Business Administration degree are more general. They are excellent foundation courses, which include several business, related courses and electives. Moreover, many of the courses transfer to most Texas universities. Thus, if there is any chance that you will want to work toward a four-year degree, it is better to work toward an AS degree in Business Administration than in any of the more specialized two-year AAS degrees.

I have credits from other colleges, which may count towards the associate's degree. What should I do?

Any current student should request an evaluation of their transcripts from other schools. (An official transcript must be submitted from each college attended.) You can make this request with any advisor or in the Office of Admissions and Records on any campus. A specialist at the District Administrative Office will make the evaluation and send a copy to you as well as to the department of your major. Your advisor will then work with you to determine the appropriate use of these courses. There are occasions when courses may be substituted.

May I receive credit for work experience?

College credit is not given for work experience.

May I receive credit from challenge exams?

This department does not accept challenge exams.

Do Developmental courses count toward any of the degree plans?

NO. These are developmental courses, which will prepare students for success in college credit courses and do not count toward any degree.

What Mathematics Course Should I take?

The degree plan for Finance requires Mth 1332, College Math or Mth 1342, Elementary Statistics.  It is possible to take any of the Math courses listed in the General Education Course list for this degree. Math 1333, Mathematics for Measurement is not a transferable course and you must ask for approval before you take this course.

Computational Skills (Mathematics)

  • MATH 1314 - College Algebra
  • MATH 1316 - Trigonometry
  • MATH 1324 - Math for Business and Economics
  • MATH 1332 - College Mathematics
  • MATH 1333 - Mathematics for Measurement
  • MATH 1342 - Elementary Statistics
  • MATH 1425 - Business Calculus and Applications I
  • MATH 2318 - Linear Algebra
  • MATH 2412 - Precalculus: Functions and Graphs
  • MATH 2413 - Calculus I
  • MATH 2414 - Calculus II

I have been working towards an associate of applied science degree (non-transferable). Now I see that the Business Administration degree is better. Is there anyway to salvage my courses?

The Bachelor of Applied Arts and Science is an excellent alternative to the BBA degree. Southwest Texas State University offers a Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences in the Department of Technology in its Occupational Education Division. This degree uses non-transferable courses and work experience. You still must meet general education requirements and take upper level courses at SWTSU, but this may be an alternative for you.

St. Edwards University has a great program for people who work, have a family, and juggle both.  It is New College and is designed for working adults who want to complete their degree. For additional information go to

Tarleton State University (branch of A&M) offers classes in Killeen. To encourage a seamless transfer from community colleges to upper-level work at Tarleton-Central Texas, the University has developed agreements with Central Texas community colleges that enable smooth transfers without a loss of credits for students who begin their community college studies with Tarleton-Central Texas in mind. Go to  for additional information.

What is an Internship or Practicum and must I complete an Internship in order to receive a degree?

Internships and/or Practicum are career-related activities encountered in the students’ area of specialization offered through an individualized agreement among the college, employer, and student.  The student completes the Internship during the final semester before graduation.  It is not always practical for a student to complete an Internship and under certain conditions there are alternative courses that may be taken to replace the Internship/Practicum.  You should contact Ina Midkiff at or Nick Sarantakes at for complete information about requirements.

What's the difference between Academic courses and WECM courses?

Academic Courses – are designed by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board for transfer among community colleges and state public year colleges and universities as freshman and sophomore general education courses.

WECM courses – are designed by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board as Workforce education (technical) courses offered for credit and CEUs (Continuing Education Units).  While these courses are designed to transfer among state community colleges, they are not designed to automatically transfer to public four year colleges and universities.

Is there anything else I should know?

YES. This handout is not intended to answer all questions. Please read the ACC catalog for additional information and for additional questions, talk to any full-time faculty advisors.

If you want additional information on Academic Programs, please jump to the Online Transfer Manual. It includes information about how to transfer, course equivalencies, transfer plans, and much more

What is the Rule of Three?

Per state law, effective spring 2006 any student taking a class for the third time or more may be charged an additional $60 per credit hour unless exempted. We call it the Rule of Three.
The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board has mandated that all publicly funded higher-education institutions will not receive funding for courses a student takes for the third time or more. Without the state funding for those affected classes, ACC will charge additional tuition to pay for the cost of the class. The new “Rule of Three” tuition costs will not apply to developmental courses, Continuing Education courses, special-studies courses in which the content changes each time, or other select courses. For additional information go to
Students affected by this new policy should note the following:
This policy affects class enrollments beginning with the fall 2002 semester (Aug. 2002).
Financial aid may be used to cover the additional tuition charge.
If you are taking a class for the second time and are considering a third attempt in the future, consult with your instructor and/or advisor. ACC is here to help you succeed.
Appeals for waivers will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis by the relevant Dean of Student Services at each campus.

What are the serious consequences for receiving a "W" in a course?

The Texas Legislature has now, for the second session in a row, instituted some substantial consequences for students who withdraw from courses. Students have traditionally thought of a W as a non-penalty grade, thus it is very important that students understand the direction that the state is going about withdrawals so that they can avoid substantial negative consequences later.
The consequences instituted by the state in 2005 are that, for most courses, if a student enrolls for the course for the third time, the student will have to pay substantially more tuition for the course.
In 2007, the state declared that, for incoming freshmen in fall 2007 and later, there will be a limit of six W's overall in the student's college career.

Useful links

Business Administration (2-year degree for transfer to 4-year degree)

UT (McCombs) School of Business (Admission information for the external transfer process)

Bachelor of Applied Arts and Science (a 4-year degree)
BAAS Degree Option for Adult Students

Pre-MBA for St. Edward's University
St. Edwards New College

ACC Degree Plans
ACC Online Transfer Manual
ACC Catalog
ACCCourse Descriptions
Student Handbook

Mortgage Banking Degree Plans
Mortgage Banking Degree Tracking Worksheets

Academic Testing Center Website
Distance Learning Help Line, 1-512-223-8026, Toll free 1-888-223-8026 or

Distance Learning Help Line is open 8am to 5pm Monday-Friday.
Financial Management Course Master Syllabus with SCANS competencies

Future StudentsCurrent StudentsFaculty and StaffCommunity and BusinessNewsroomA-Z Index Financial Management Department Chair DirectoryCopyrightLegal NoticesAbout ACCContact ACCACC Home
Last modified: October 25 2011 @ 5:17 pm | Austin Community College District • Austin, TX