Tuition Exemption and Waiver for Fire Protection Technology
Policies and Procedures
Eligible firefighters, enrolled in one or more courses offered as part of a fire science curriculum, are exempt from paying tuition and laboratory fees.
Eligibility: In order to use the tuition waiver you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be currently employed as a firefighter by a political subdivision in Texas; or
- Are currently, and have been for at least one year, an active member of an organized volunteer fire department in Texas and also hold:
- An Accredited Advanced level of certification or an equivalent successor certification, under the State Firemen’s and Fire marshals’ Association of Texas volunteer certification program; or
- Phase V (Firefighter II) certification, or an equivalent under the Texas Commission on Fire Protection’s volunteer certification program
Effective immediately the tuition waiver is only available from the Fire Protection Technology Department Chair.
In order to obtain a waiver you must submit your request via the Student Information form.
- meet the eligibility requirements as listed above;
- be advised by the Fire Protection Technology Department Chair and have declared Fire Protection Technology AAS as your major; and
- fax documentation on department letterhead of your affiliation (full-time, part-time, paid-on call, or volunteer) with a recognized Fire Department/Fire Protection Agency to Chief Miller - (512) 223-5470 or Kristi Norton - (512) 223-9765
- transfer basic certifications into college credits through the Department Chair.
- register for classes on line
- submit your request via the Student Information Form.
All of the information will be forwarded to Student Accounting by the Fire Protection Technology Department.
Note: The Fire Protection Tuition exemption is only for tuition and lab fees. The student will be responsible for paying any additional fees by the posted due date.