Health Sciences Application Process
Admission to Austin Community College does not guarantee admission to a Health Sciences program. ALL Health Sciences program applicants must:
- Enroll in ACC and begin taking relevant program prerequisites
- Follow the admission steps for the Health Sciences program you prefer.
- Collect the required documentation and/or complete all immunizations before applying for program admission.
- Submit your program application (a criminal background check may be required)
Dental Hygiene Application Steps
New students are accepted into the Dental Hygiene program in fall. New applications are accepted between September 1 and February 1 each year. Changes in the Admissions policies and procedures beginning September 1, 2013 include: application packets will only be retained for 3 years and grades for courses repeated more than twice will not be considered.
Download Application Process: PDF
**DHYG 1235 Pharmacology for the Dental Hygienist is replacing HPRS 1273 Pharmacology. The DHYG 1235 course will be offered for the first time in the Spring of 2014. The HPRS Pharmacology course will be accepted as meeting the content requirements if the course was successfully completed in the fall of 2013 or before and meeting the 5 year completion requirement. Students that have successfully completed HPRS 1273 or HPRS 2300 will be allowed the opportunity to take the DHYG 1235 course.
Apply to ACC.
Fulfill all immunization requirements (some immunizations can take six months to complete). Immunization requirements were changed on October 1, 2012. Please review the updated form for new requirements.
Finish prerequisite courses by the February 1 deadline to apply for Dental Hygiene program admission. You must earn a C or better in the prerequisite classes, which are listed below:
- BIOL 2304/2101 - Human Anatomy (Lecture and Lab)
- BIOL 2305/2102 Human Physiology (Lecture and Lab)
- BIOL-2420 Introduction to Microbiology
- BIOL-1323 Human Nutrition (please refer to new degree plan for more information)
- ENGL 1301 English Composition I
Taking required pre- or co-requisite courses over for a higher grade
Understanding that students need an opportunity to improve what may have been a "false start" in college, repeated course grades will be considered. If a course is repeated, the higher of the two qualifying grades will be considered in the admission ranking formula. For example, the two attempts for a course like Human Anatomy need to both be current, successfully completed at a grade of C or better within 5 years of admittance to the Program. Beginning with the 2014 admissions cycle (beginning September 1, 2013), ONLY the first two qualifying attempts of a course will be considered. So using Human Anatomy as an example again, if the prospective student took the course a 3rd time, only the higher of the first two attempts will be considered.
Maintain an overall grade point average of at least a 2.0 on a 4.0 scale. (A competitive GPA is around 3.5.) Ranking Worksheet (new ranking worksheet will be posted soon)
On the ranking worksheet:
- Under Patient Care Experience Bonus Awards, please see the Patient Care Experience form found on Application Packet for an explanation of qualifications.
- Under Career Advancement Bonus Awards: If you want to see if the school that you attended qualifies for the extra points, please use the form here. Select the state and the type of program and the website will list the programs in that state that qualify.
- Under Career Advancement Bonus Awards for "currently certified by the Dental Assisting National Board":
- DANB is a national certificating board for assistants. Candidates who take the national boards are certified to work in any state in the United States. This certification allows an assistant to legally use the "CDA" credentials through passing numerous proctored, extensive exams.This is different from the Texas required exam you would take to obtain your RDA status needed to work in the State of Texas.
Print and fill out a Dental Hygiene program application. Submit your program application and immunization form to the Health Sciences Information and Advising Office no later than 5 p.m. February 1.
Maintaining a Current Application Packet
Application packets for those qualifying to be considered but not offered admission to the Program will be retained for 3 years. After which time, if the application has not been updated, it will be destroyed and no longer eligible for consideration. For example, if someone applied for the entering class of 2012 and was not offered admission and he/she waited to reapply again for the 2015 entering class, the applicant would be awarded the corresponding reapplication bonus points because they are applying within the 3-year window. On the other hand, if he/she did not reapply again until the 2016 cycle, their application packet would have been destroyed and in essence the applicant would be applying just as if it were their first time.
Reapplication form to be filled out by all students wanting their application to stay active.
The college will request a criminal background check once your Dental Hygiene application has been submitted. Click here to learn more.
The college will request a drug screening once your Dental Hygiene application has been submitted. Click here to learn more.
Individuals accepted for Dental Hygiene admission are required to complete a physical examination, tuberculosis test and a CPR course. See Program Requirements.