Dental Hygiene Application Steps
New students are accepted into the Dental Hygiene program in fall. New applications are accepted between September 1 (postponed to start on September 21st) and February 1 each year.
**DHYG 1235 Pharmacology for the Dental Hygienist is replacing HPRS 1273 Pharmacology. The DHYG 1235 course was offered for the first time in the Spring of 2014. The HPRS Pharmacology course will be accepted as meeting the content requirements if the course was successfully completed no later than fall of 2013 or before and meeting the 5 year completion requirement. Students that have successfully completed HPRS 1273 or HPRS 2300 will be allowed the opportunity to take the DHYG 1235 course.
Apply to ACC.
Fulfill all immunization requirements (some immunizations can take six months to complete).
Submit immunization requirements through your CastleBranch account.
Finish prerequisite courses by the February 1 deadline to apply for Dental Hygiene program admission. You must earn a C or better in the prerequisite classes, which are listed below:
* Course must have been completed within the past five (5) years.
Courses to Consider
Consideration will be given during the admissions-selection process for the successful completion at a grade "C" or better by the Feb. 1 application deadline for the following courses:
- Introduction to Chemistry (CHEM 1305/1105) or CHEM 1311/1111 or CHEM 1312/1112 will also be accepted. The lab will not be included in ranking score.
- Elementary Statistics (MATH 1342 or equivalent)
- Ethics (PHIL 2306)
- Introduction to Psychology (PSYC 2301)
- Sociology (SOCI 1301)
Taking required pre- or co-requisite courses over for a higher grade
Understanding that students need an opportunity to improve what may have been a "false start" in college, repeated course grades will be considered. If a course is repeated, the higher of the two qualifying grades will be considered in the admission ranking formula. For example, the two attempts for a course like Human Anatomy need to both be current, successfully completed at a grade of C or better within 5 years of admittance to the Program. Beginning with the 2014 admissions cycle (beginning September 1, 2013), ONLY the first two qualifying attempts of a course will be considered. So using Human Anatomy as an example again, if the prospective student took the course a 3rd time, only the higher of the first two attempts will be considered.
Step 4Take the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) and upload the "Individual Performance Profile" by the February 1 deadline to your Castle Branch account. The TEAS test must be taken by the February 1st application deadline and the Individual Performance Profile uploaded to the applicants CastleBranch account. Only one attempt per calendar year is permitted. The most recent score will be the one used in the admissions' ranking calculation as long as there is at least 364 days between attempts. The TEAS Test is created and administered by the Assessment Technologies Institute.
Maintain an overall grade point average of at least a 2.0 on a 4.0 scale. (A competitive GPA is around 3.5.) Ranking Worksheet
On the ranking worksheet:
- Under Patient Care Experience Bonus Awards, please see the Patient Care Experience form for an explanation of qualifications.
- Under Career Advancement Bonus Awards: If you want to see if the school that you attended qualifies for the extra points, click here. Select the state and the type of program and the website will list the programs in that state that qualify.
- Under Career Advancement Bonus Awards for "currently certified by the Dental Assisting National Board":
- DANB is a national certificating board for assistants. Candidates who take the national boards are certified to work in any state in the United States. This certification allows an assistant to legally use the "CDA" credentials through passing numerous proctored, extensive exams. This is different from the required exam/procedures you would take to obtain your RDA status needed to work in the State of Texas.
Prior to submitting your application, please upload the following documents to your CastleBranch account. Use code for UL57im for all documents and UL64im for your immunizations.
- Information Session Verification Form (Post Test)
- Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) Individual Performance Profile
- Dental Hygiene Program Observation Form (page 4 of application packet)
- DANB Certification (if applicable)
- Patient Care Experience Verfication Form (if applicable)
Print and fill out a Dental Hygiene program application. Submit your program application to the Health Sciences Information and Advising Office no later than 5 p.m. February 1 or the next business day if the 1st falls on a weekend.
Maintaining a Current Application Packet
Application packets for those qualifying to be considered but not offered admission to the Program will be retained for 3 years. After which time, if the application has not been updated, it will be destroyed and no longer eligible for consideration. For example, if someone applied for the entering class of 2015 and was not offered admission and he/she waited to reapply again for the 2018 entering class, the applicant would be awarded the corresponding reapplication bonus points because they are applying within the 3-year window. On the other hand, if he/she did not reapply again until the 2019 cycle, their application packet would have been destroyed and in essence the applicant would be applying just as if it were their first time.
Application form -- Updated 10-2-17
Reapplication form to be filled out by all students wanting their application to stay active.
The college will request a criminal background check once your Dental Hygiene application has been submitted. Click here to learn more.
The college will request a drug screening once your Dental Hygiene application has been submitted. Click here to learn more.
Individuals accepted for Dental Hygiene admission are required to complete a physical examination, tuberculosis test and a CPR course. See Program Requirements.