Incoming students should initiate a drug screen ONLY upon directions from the department.
Health care providers are entrusted with the health, safety, and welfare of patients/clients. The safety and welfare of patients/clients cared for by our students is of primary concern in all Health Sciences programs and the clinical agencies that provide essential clinical experiences for the students. The clinical agencies require a drug screen prior to the first clinical course to ensure that their facility is in compliance with The Joint Commission (TJC) standards.
Successful completion of the ten (10) panel drug screen is required within thirty days of beginning the first clinical course. Currently enrolled students are required to have a drug screen within thirty (30) days of the next clinical course.
Drug screens will be honored for the duration of the student's enrollment in the clinical program if the participating student has not had a break in the enrollment of a Health Science program. A break in enrollment is defined as nonattendance of one full semester or more.
The Ten Panel Drug Screen includes testing for:
- Cocaine Metabolites
- Marijuana metabolites
- Propoxyphene metabolite
Positive Drug Screen
- A positive drug screen is any instance in which a drug screening report shows a positive test for one or more of the drugs on the panel.
- Any student with a positive drug screen will be withdrawn from the program.
Failure to undergo the drug test in the time period required will result in withdrawal from the program.
- Any student withdrawn for a positive drug screen will not be eligible to reapply or apply for readmission for a minimum of twelve months from the date of withdrawal.
- All current admission requirements will be applicable including (but not limited to) prerequisite time limits.
- Drug screening policies in place at the time of entry will apply.
- Successful completion of a drug screen for a Health Sciences Program does not ensure eligibility for licensure or future employment.
- Clinical agencies can require additional drug screens to be in compliance with their policies.
- If a student is found to be ineligible for clinical placement any time during the program, the student is unable to meet clinical learning objectives and will be withdrawn pending resolution of the situation.
Allocation of Cost
Cost of the drug screen is the responsibility of the student.
Confidentiality of Records
Drug screening reports and all records pertaining to the results are considered confidential information with restricted access. The results and records are subject to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) regulations.
All drug screens must be completed within the following time frame:
Summer 2014: April 16 - May 16
The drug screens will be conducted by PreCheck, Inc., a firm specializing in verifications for healthcare workers. Results from other agencies will not be recognized.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR OBTAINING YOUR DRUG SCREEN ONLY FOR CLINICAL EDUCATION PROGRAM
In association with our clinical education program drug screening is required on incoming students to ensure the safety of the patients treated by students in the program. You will be required to order your drug screen in sufficient time for it to be reviewed by the school and/or hospital prior to starting your clinical rotation. A drug screen typically takes 3 days to complete, however its delivery to your school and/or clinical site can be impacted by a variety of factors.
Select Austin Community College - AA Health Sciences Drug Screen Only. Do not choose any other options or you will be completing a Criminal Background Check and not the required Drug Screen. Important: please see screenshot below:
Here is the link that you need to use mystudentcheck.com. Be sure to follow the instructions noted above and in the screen shot.
Complete all required fields as prompted. For your records, you will be provided a receipt and confirmation page of your order placed through PreCheck, Inc. Texas residents will pay $49.80 and New Mexico residents will pay $49.34. Residents in all other states will pay $46.00. For your records, you will be provided a receipt and confirmation page of your order placed through PreCheck, Inc.
You must pre-register for drug screen collections before heading to a collection lab.
- If you pay by credit card, the link to the instructions for pre-registration will be provided at the confirmation page after you complete your order.
- If you are paying by money order, you will be emailed instructions to obtain your drug screen once payment has been received.
Note on Drug Screen Collection Pre-Registration and Appointments:
This process only pre-registers you for a drug screen and does not set up an appointment time with the collection site. Collection sites have different policies on setting up appointments for drug screening. For your convenience, we recommend calling your chosen collection site ahead of time to set up an appointment. It is also your responsibility to pre-register and complete the drug screen at the time frame required by the school. For most students, the Electronic Chain of Custody (ECOC) process will register them to a collection site instantly; however the location of some students may require us to mail a paper Chain of Custody Form to get you to a collection site close to your location. We encourage you to pre-register with enough time to allow mailing time, if needed.
PreCheck will not use your information for any other purposes other than the services ordered.
If you need assistance, please contact PreCheck at StudentCheck@PreCheck.com.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- If possible, provide your sample first thing in the morning.
- Limit the consumption of large amounts of water prior to the test.
- A good alternative to hydrating yourself would be to drink two 8 oz glasses of orange juice (no coffee, soda, etc) prior to the test.
Most results are returned within 3 business days, but delivery to your school and/or clinical site can be affected by many factors.
Results are not always returned to PreCheck, and sometimes a school may designate that results be returned directly to them, or to the clinical site. If you wish to receive a copy you may contact us at StudentCheck@PreCheck.com and we will determine if we have results on file. We will need your name as provided on your drug screen order, the last four digits of your SSN, and also the School and Program for which you underwent the screening.