Medical Laboratory Technology
The primary goals of the Medical Laboratory Technology program are to:
- To provide students both academic instruction and professional training in the field of laboratory medicine to meet employment needs of Austin and surrounding communities.
- Provide a climate conducive to stimulating interest in MLT education and participating in professional organizations, and encouraging awareness in changing trends in medical laboratory technology.
- Produce graduates who meet entry level competency in the profession.
- To produce skilled clinical laboratory workers who:
- through general and technical education, are qualified to perform with minimal supervision, the tests routinely performed in clinical laboratories.
- are able to collect, label, identify, and log in specimens accurately,
- have a working knowledge of the principles of the tests they are performing,
- keep accurate and legible records and are able to communicate reports clearly to fellow medical personnel,
- are able to correlate test results in order to confirm them.
- will strive for accuracy in the performance of tests and will make every effort to eliminate error through their ability to recognize irregularities in test results and procedures and make corrections according to preset strategies and criteria and refer them to more qualified personnel when appropriate,
- are skillful in the operation of laboratory instruments,
- are able to demonstrate and explain routine procedures to others in the laboratory,
- will take responsibility for their own work and are able to organize their work to make the most efficient use of time,
- will adapt well to various work situations,
- maintain the confidentiality of patient results,
- are constantly aware of patient welfare,
- will co-operate with their co-workers and all members of the health care team.
- are able to perform efficiently under stress,
- will strive to keep their competence and knowledge current in relation to the changing work environment,
- will have the qualities of honesty and intellectual integrity beyond reproach,
- are skillful in the operation of laboratory instruments and are able to recognize instrument failures and take appropriate actions, and
- will actively participate in professional organizations in their specialty,
- To carry out the education of each student in a manner this encourages further education, participation in community service, and maintenance of special interests in the field.
- To maintain accreditation of the program through the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS).
- To produce graduates eligible to take and pass a nationally recognized certification examination upon completion of the program.
- To maintain high academic and professional standards both in the program and in its students.
- To serve as a resource for the clinical laboratories in the Austin area.