Health Sciences Application Process
Admission to Austin Community College does not guarantee admission to a Health Sciences program. ALL Health Sciences program applicants must:
- Enroll in ACC and begin taking relevant program prerequisites.
- Follow the admission steps for the Health Sciences program you prefer.
- Collect the required documentation and/or complete all immunizations before applying for program admission.
- Submit your program application.
- Criminal background check will be required and ONLY upon direction from the department.
- Drug screening will be required and ONLY upon direction from the department.
OTA Application Steps
New students are accepted into the Occupational Therapy Assistant program in the fall semester. New applications are accepted between September 1 and March 31 each year. Classes taken in the Spring can be counted towards completion of requirements. Please notify staff when you plan to do this.
Note: Admission to Austin Community College does not guarantee admission to any Health Sciences program.
Apply to ACC.
Fulfill all immunization requirements (some immunizations can take six months to complete). A completed immunization form is due at the time you apply for program admission. Submit your immunizations to Certified Profile account using the code UL64im.
Complete an Information Session. Print and sign the verification page at the end of the session. Submit to your Certified Profile account using code UL73im.
For students requesting an appointment, you must complete the Information Session prior to your appointment. Review the website and complete a mandatory Information Session and Verification Post Test. The Information Session can be done either online or in person. Information can be found at: http://www.austincc.edu/health/ota/infosession.php
Complete the prerequisite courses with a minimum of GPA of 2.5 and at least a "C" or better in each course. Prerequisite courses can be in progress when you submit your application but must be completed by May 31st.
Complete co-requisite courses for additional bonus points. There are no substitutions for the courses that are listed. Students must take SPCH 1318 (within the last 5 years) and PHIL 2306 (no time limit).
Applicants must complete at least 20 hours of observation/volunteer experience within an occupational therapy practice setting to be considered for admission to the OTA program. It is the applicant’s responsibility to arrange this experience. Occupational Therapy practice settings include, but are not limited to, hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, schools, and rehabilitation centers.
The hours may be divided between facilities in whatever method the applicant chooses and must be completed within two years of the date in which the application is submitted.
This experience must be documented on the Observation/Volunteer Record form provided here. A licensed OTR or COTA must complete each form. Submit your documentation for your hours to your Certified Profile account using code UL73im.
Complete a TEAS V (Allied Health) exam (formerly called the HOBET V exam)
- Test must be within 2 years of application deadline.
- Call 512.223.7769 at Highland Business Center to schedule
- Submit your scores to your Certified Profile account using code UL73im.
Submit only three work skills assessment forms (professional references). These forms must be submitted in original sealed envelopes with the signature across the seal. Confidentiality is an important health career skill, please maintain the integrity of each document. These forms are property of the program and should not be viewed by the student.
At least one work skills assessment (professional reference) must be submitted by an OTR or COTA with whom you have completed the mandatory observation/volunteer hours (see Step 5 above).
The remaining two work skills assessment (professional references) should be submitted by individuals who have prior work or education related experience with you (i.e., previous employers, supervisors, instructors, etc.).
Please note that all three work skills assessment (professional reference) forms must be included with your application packet. They will not be submitted with your Certified Profile account. All submitted forms will be used in calculating your admission score.
- Submit official transcript to the Office of Admissions & Records at Austin Community College.
- Submit a copy of official transcript with your OTA application.
Obtain the OTA program Application. All application forms may be downloaded here.
- The application should be completed in black ink or typed.
- The essay is critical. It must follow all of the criteria as outlined on the application form. Your essay will be uploaded to your Certified Profile account using code UL73im.
- Be sure to date and sign the application. Incomplete applications may be rejected, or at minimum will delay the admissions process.
(The Applicant Data Record is optional. However, several of our accreditation agencies require that this data be collected and analyzed for statistical reasons. Your cooperation in completing this form is greatly appreciated. This form will be removed from your application packet upon receipt and kept separate from your application file. Get the Applicant Data Record form here.)
Applications packets are valid for two consecutive years.
Second application attempt, submit the following:
- Reapplication Form found here
- Transcripts with any courses completed since last year's application
- Immunizations-Need to be submitted to your Certified Profile account using code UL64im.
- Essay with all questions answered. If you are satisfied with your essay score from the previous year, you may resubmit your essay with the words "previously scored" written at the top before you upload it to your Certified Profile account using code UL73im.
Third application attempt, steps 2-9 of the OTA Application steps
Completed applicationsmust be postmarked no later than March 31 for consideration. All documents that need to be uploaded to Certified Profile must be done and cleared with all green checks before the application can be accepted. Please allow 48-72 hours for processing.
Click here for selection criteria for students applying for Fall 2015
Click here for selection criteria for students applying for Fall 2016 or later.