The Pharmacy Technician certificate program is a two-semester certificate program that combines classroom and laboratory instruction with clinical rotations in local pharmacies. The program accepts new student applications year-round for the fall, spring, and summer semesters. Upon completion of the certificate plan, graduates earn one advanced pharmacy specialty certificate, and graduates are eligible to take the national Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam which is a prerequisite for becoming a Registered Pharmacy Technician with the Texas State Board of Pharmacy. The certificate plan encompasses the first two semesters of the Pharmacy Technician AAS degree plan.
2016-2017 Certificate Plan --will be updated soon
Certificate Plan Worksheets --will be updated soon
Associate of Applied Science
The Pharmacy Technician degree program is a five-semester degree that combines classroom and laboratory instruction with clinical experiences in local pharmacies. The program accepts new student applications year-round for the fall, spring and summer semesters. The Pharmacy Technician Certificate plan is embedded into the first two semesters of the Pharmacy Technician AAS degree plan. The AAS degree plan builds upon the foundation laid during the certificate program. Upon completion of the AAS degree program, students earn four advanced pharmacy specialty certificates.
2016-2017 AAS Degree Plan --will be updated soon
Degree Plan Worksheets --will be updated soon
Additional Options and Benefits of the Pharmacy Technician Certificate or Degree Programs
- Courses in the Pharmacy Technician Program are offered in either the on-campus (at Eastview), hybrid (combination of life and distance learning (DIL)), and online (i.e., distance learning (DIL)) format.
- The on-campus courses in the Pharmacy Technician certificate plan are offered in a Block Schedule option. This gives students the predictability of having all of their classes during the same time period. All courses in the block will be taught during the Monday through Thursday 9:00 a.m. - 1:40 p.m. timeframe. The block schedule option is designed to be completed in two semesters so that students can quickly earn their certificate and begin working as a pharmacy technician. The block schedule is designed so that students can continue to work or take care of family while they complete their education.
- The program may be completed for college credit (recommended) or for continuing education.
- Certificate students are encouraged to consider advancing their education and potential for career growth by obtaining the AAS degree in the Pharmacy Technician Program.
- Upon earning their national Pharmacy Technician Certification through the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB), program graduates may be eligible to earn advanced specialty certifications, or complete mandatory continuing pharmacy education activities through our ACPE Accredited Continuing Pharmacy Education Providership. Contact the Pharmacy Technician Program department chair for details.