Health Sciences Application Process
Admission to Austin Community College does not guarantee admission to a Health Sciences program. ALL Health Sciences program applicants must:
- Enroll in ACC and begin taking relevant program prerequisites
- Follow the admission steps for the Health Sciences program you prefer.
- Collect the required documentation and/or complete all immunizations before applying for program admission.
- Submit your program application (a criminal background check may be required)
Radiology Application Steps
2015-2016 Approved Degree Plan (awaiting approval from JRCERT)
New students are accepted into the Radiology program in the fall. Submit Radiology application paperwork to Health Science Admissions by February 1 (or the following business day if February 1 falls on a weekend). Students that are reapplying need to submit their reapplication form between October 1 and December 1.
Apply to ACC.
Fulfill all immunization requirements (some immunizations can take six months to complete).
Submit immunization requirements through your Certified Profile account.
Complete a mandatory Information Session online.
A copy of the Verification Form must be submitted through your Certfied Profile account.
Finish prerequisite courses by the February 1 deadline to apply for Radiology program admission. You must earn a C or better in the prerequisite classes, which are listed below:
- BIOL 2404 Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology. Must be current within 5 years.
- MATH 1314 College Algebra
- ENGL 1301 English Composition I
- SPCH 1315 Public Speaking
- HPRS 1106 Essentials of Medical Terminology
In order to be competitive, it is very important that the applicant complete most if not all co requisite courses (PSYC 2301 and the Language, Philosophy, and Culture/Creative Arts course) by the end of the fall semester. You are encouraged to obtain the highest grades for the required courses as this is crucial in the ranking process. Only courses completed by the application deadline will be considered. For any courses taken at schools other than ACC you must submit copies of transcripts with your application.
Courses applicable to the degree plan must meet minimum GPA of 2.8.
Taking required pre- or co-requisite courses over for a higher grade
Understanding that students need an opportunity to improve what may have been a "false start" in college, repeated course grades will be considered. If a course is repeated, the higher of the first two qualifying grades will be considered in the admission ranking formula.
For example, the two attempts for a course like Anatomy and Physiology need to both be successfully completed at a grade of C or better within 5 years of application date. Beginning with the 2016 admissions cycle, ONLY the first two qualifying attempts of a couse will be considered. So using Anatomy and Physiology as an example again, if the prospective student took the course a 3rd time, only the higher of the first two attempts will be considered.
Radiology degree plan course equivalents or substitutions can be found here.Students wanting to transfer from another Radiology Program in the State of Texas, please read the department's Statement on the Transfer of Radiology Course credits.
Complete a TEAS V exam (Allied Health version) (formerly called the HOBET V exam) and submit score report through your Certified Profile account.
- Test must be within 2 years of application deadline
- Call 512.223.7769 at the Highland Business Center to schedule
- This test will assess reading, mathematics, science and English and language usage. For more information on the TEAS V (Allied Health) Exam and how to schedule it, please visit here.
- There is no minimum score that is required. However, the higher your score, the better your admission ranking will be.
Listed below are resources to aid the prospective student prepare for the TEAS V (Allied Health) examination.
Prior to submitting your application, please upload the following documents to your Certified Profile account.
- Information Session Verification Form (Post Test)
- TEAS V (Allied Health) or HOBET V Test Results
Print and fill out a Radiology program application. Submit your program application form to the Health Sciences Admissions Office no later than 5 p.m. February 1.
Please note that if you are admitted to the program, it will be provisional until you complete a required observation period of 4 hours at a local imaging department that the department arranges and schedules for you. After you complete the observation period successfully, you will be granted full admission contingent upon successfully passing a criminal background check, drug screen and other clinical requirements (see below).
Individuals accepted for Radiology admission are required to complete a physical examination, tuberculosis test and a CPR course upon direction from the department. Please see the Technical Standards as noted on Program Requirements.
The college will request a criminal background check, drug screen and proof of health insurance once you have been conditionally accepted to the program. Click here to learn more.
Admission Ranking Formula
- The final ranking score that is earned will be compared to all other scores and arranged from the highest score to the lowest and the top 50 applicants will be offered a position in the program. In the event that someone does not accept a position in the program or does not respond by the deadline given, the program will offer the position to an applicant next in line in the admission pool.
- GPA of Prerequisites and Corequisites = 60%
- TEAS V Score = 40%
If an applicant is not admitted to the program, a reapplicatoin must be submitted for the next admission cycle. Reapplication forms are posted here and will be accepted from October 1 - December 1 only. Deadline for reapplication forms is December 1. After December 1, students who have not reapplied will have their file moved to "inactive" status and they will be destroyed after 1 year. Students who have returned the form will have their application reviewed with other qualified applicants during the next admission cycle.
Fall course work listed on the reapplication form will be included in the ranking formula if a grade of C or better. Department staff will look up the grades once grades are posted and update the database with the qualifying grade.
All reapplications for Fall 2016 must submit a copy of the TEAS V test score and all immunizations through your Certified Profile account by the December 1 deadline before submitting a reapplication form to the Health Science offices at Eastview or Round Rock.
Please note that no reapplication points are awarded for reapplicants to the program effective Fall 2016.