These instructions are for Mobility Students ONLY. For graduation instructions for Traditional Students see here.
The instructions and application for initial licensure are linked here for your review. Please note that you must now submit the application 120 days prior to graduation (during the first few weeks of the final semester of the nursing program).
STEP 1: Application for licensure:
- Apply online at http://www.bon.state.tx.us/ then click on the Online Examination Link Deadline: May 31, 2013
Students who cannot apply online will need to download the paper application, mail the completed application + $139.00 fee (Check or Money Order) to: Board of Nursing, 333 Guadalupe, Ste 3-460, Austin, TX 78701-3944 by May 31, 2013
STEP 2: FBI Finger Print Cards- Deadline: June 10, 2013
- Criminal background checks are performed on all applicants for Licensure in Texas. For applicants residing in Texas, L-1 Identity Solutions, www.ibtfingerprint.com, offers Live Scan locations in Texas. In order to be eligible for an electronic fingerprint submission, allow three business day to elapse from the time you apply to the BON online or ten business days, after mailing the application and fee, to elapse before scheduling an appointment with L-1 Identity Solutions. You may schedule an appointment online or by phone at 1-888-467-2080.
- For applicants residing outside Texas, attach one (1) completed FBI fingerprint card. A fingerprint card can be requested from our website at www.bon.state.tx.us/olv/web-requests.asp. Fingerprinting should be conducted by a person who is appropriately trained to collect them. Your local law enforcement agency should be willing to assist you.
- A social security number is not required; however, receipt of the FBI criminal history report will take longer for the candidates who do not have this identifying information.
- The applicant will not be approved to take the NCLEX-RN® examination or be issued a GN authorization letter (if eligible) without a valid criminal history report.
STEP 3: Apply For ACC Graduation:
- Apply Online at: www.austincc.edu/support/admissions/graduation.php Deadline: July 1, 2013
STEP 4: Nursing Jurisprudence Examination:
- All applicants by examination must pass the Texas nursing jurisprudence examination. You must pass this examination prior to being issued a permanent license. This has no bearing on your GN authorization.
- Instructions on taking the Texas Nursing Jurisprudence Examination: Ten days after you file an examination application with the Texas Board of Nursing, the applicant will be eligible to take the online nursing jurisprudence exam at www.bon.state.tx.us/olv/je.html.
- Follow the instructions to log on and complete the examination. The examination is based on the Texas Nursing Practice Act (NPA) and the Texas Board of Nursing Rules and Regulations. We recommend that you download a copy of the NPA and Board Rules and Regulations from our website by going to www.bon.state.tx.us and click on "Nursing Law and Rules". You may also purchase a hard copy of the NPA and Rules and Regulations by contacting the Texas Board of Nursing. The nursing jurisprudence examination is a maximum of two hours in length. If you are not successful in passing the examination, you may take the examination again after seven working days has elapsed from the previous attempt. The cost of the examination is included in your $139 examination fee. Again, you must pass this examination before the Texas Board of Nursing will issue the permanent license.
STEP 5: NCLEX Registration:
- The Board recommends that you register with NCS Pearson to take the NCLEX-RN®one month prior to graduation. Deadline: July 5, 2013
- Register online by visiting http://www.vue.com/nclex and using credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or American Express)
- Register over the telephone by calling 1-866-496-2539, Monday-Friday 7a.m.-7p.m., U.S. Central Standard Time.
- Register by mail with a certified check, cashier's check , or money order with the Pearson Vue Examination Registration Form (bubble sheet), which you can pick up in the Nursing Office 8227.
- NCLEX-RN® registration fee = $200.00
- School Code: 27-432 RN