RNSG 1412- Nursing Care of the Childbearing and Childrearing FamilyLevel 3 Fall 2015
Monday, August 24, 2015
8:00-11:00 -- Mastery Skills Check Off: (Mastery Checkoff is prior to your first day of class)
Please meet in room 3222.00. Please bring your lab packs with skills equipment and wear appropriate attire (scrubs (does not have to be ADN scrubs) and closed toe shoes).
- All students must complete the comprehensive mastery skills check-off over previously learned skills. The mastery will focus on the following skills:
- Medication administration all routes-must be able to identify landmarks for all and which site is best for deep IM injection.
- Catheterization (Foley and 'in and out' or straight cath). Please check the revised Skills Performance Checklist on insertion of a foley catheter on the ADN Skills Checklist page.
- Intravenous medications (piggy-back administration, starting an IV, calculation of infusion rate and IV push administration)
- Tracheostomy care and suctioning
- Central Line Dressing change
- Documentation required
- Each student will receive a patient situation with minimum of 2 skills to be completed - one being a sterile technique.
- Each student must successfully complete mastery skills check off to continue in any Level 3 course.
- Please utilize the available open lab times for practice.
- Open lab time is available the week before the semester. Plan time to practice. The calendar indicating availability is posted on the BB site for Skills Lab.
- Please do NOT wait until the last minute to practice - the lab will be closed on the Friday before the semester begins.
- Reference the BlackBoard site for this course frequently for updates.
11:00-1:00 - Mental Health Class (for those who did not take it in the summer)
Tuesday, August 25, 2015
8:30-11:30 -- Pediatric Lecture
11:30-12:00 -- RNSG 1412 Orientation
12:00-12:30 -- Lunch
12:30-1:30 -- Dosage and Calculation Test in RRC NSG computer lab
1:30-5:30 -- Clinical lab and orientation -- more specific details will come later.
Calendar: Fall 2015 (updated 7/7/15)
Textbook - McKinney, E..; James, S.; Murray, S.; Bindler, Ashwell, J.; Maternal - Child Nursing fourth ed. 2013: Saunders Elsevier, St.Louis, Missouri
Class / Seminar:
- When: Tuesday from 8:30 - 12:30 or longer. Some days are longer than others. On long days you will get a lunch. On some days you will be done as early as noon. Labs, simulations, clinical orientations, etc. will also make for long days on campus.
- Where: RRC classroom 3339.00
- Four semester tests and a final
- Tests administered in the RRC nursing computer lab.
- See calendar for test dates
- Pediatric and Obstetric Lab attendance is MANDATORY. See calendar for dates.
Dosage and Calculation Test:
- All students must take a dosage and calculation test on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 in the Nursing Testing Center.
- You must successfully pass this exam to administer medications in the clinical setting.
HESI Specialty Test:
- The HESI specialty test is a mandatory course requirement. Print and take the correct HESI Form (located here) to the cashier's office with the fee and bring the receipt with you to the computer lab for the HESI test. See the course calendar for date and time.
RNSG 1262 Childbearing and Childrearing Clinical
- Clinical experience consists of two five-week rotations. Those of you that are simultaneously enrolled in the Mental Health course will have three 5-week rotations.
- The Round Rock onsite group will start with the 5-week pediatric or mental health rotation. You will receive your clinical rotation schedule the week before school starts. The table below lists the clinical topics.
|First 5-week rotation||Second 5-week rotation||Third 5-week rotation|
|RRC||Pedi or Mental Health||Mental Health or Pediatrics||OB|
Preparation for your first Pediatric Rotation:
- Where: Dell Children's Medical Center
- When: Pediatric clinical days consist of 12-hour clinical days/evenings on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, or Saturday. Specific groups assigned week before semester begins.
All students must present an ADN Clinical Clearance ticket to the Level 3 Coordinator on the first day of class.
If you have any questions, please contact any of your instructors:
Jeanie Ward, RN, MSN, CNE via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Nina Jackson, RN, MSN via e-mail at email@example.com