RNSG 1412- Nursing Care of the Childbearing and Childrearing FamilyLevel 3 Onsite & Hybrid - Fall 2014 - Online and RR Onsite will meet together this semester
Monday, August 25, 2014
Mastery Skills Check Off: (You will have Mastery Checkoff our first day of class)
Monday, August 25 at 8:00am. Please meet in room 3222.00. Please bring your lab packs with skills equipment and wear appropriate attire (scrubs and closed toe shoes).
- All students must complete the comprehensive mastery skills check-off over previously learned skills. The mastery will focus on the following skills:
- Medication administration all routes-must be able to identify landmarks for all and which site is best for deep IM injection.
- Catheterization (Foley and 'in and out' or straight cath). Please check the revised Skills Performance Checklist on insertion of a foley catheter on the ADN Skills Checklist page.
- Intravenous medications (piggy-back administration, starting an IV, calculation of infusion rate and IV push administration)
- Tracheostomy care and suctioning
- Central Line Dressing change
- Documentation required
- Each student will receive a patient situation with the skills to be completed.
- Each student must successfully complete mastery skills check off to continue in any Level 3 course.
- Please utilize the available open lab times for practice.
- Open lab time is available the week before the semester. Plan time to practice. The calendar indicating availability is posted on the BB site for Skills Lab.
- Please do NOT wait until the last minute to practice - the lab will be closed on the Friday before the semester begins.
- Reference the BlackBoard site for this course frequently for updates.
Tuesday, August 26: Orientation and Seminar
- Date: Tuesday, August 26, 2014
- Time and Place: 8:30 RRC room 3339.00
- What to bring: Bring a copy of the course calendar as posted below, your clinical pass, and materials for the Module for class 1.
- READINGS and LEARNING GUIDES for MODULES 1 - McKinney Textbook
- Module 1 - Ch. 33, p. 804-839; Ch. 34, p. 846-852; Ch. 35, pp. 874-892; Ch. 37, pp. 917-934.
Calendar: Fall 2014
Textbook - McKinney, E..; James, S.; Murray, S.; Bindler, Ashwell, J.; Maternal - Child Nursing fourth ed. 2013: Saunders Elsevier, St.Louis, Missouri
Class / Seminar:
- When: Tuesday from 8:30 - 12:30
- Where: RRC classroom 3339.00
- Four semester tests and a final
- Tests administered in the RRC nursing computer lab.
- See calendar for test dates
- Pediatric and Obstetric Lab attendance is MANDATORY. See calendar for dates.
Dosage and Calculation Test:
- All students must take a dosage and calculation test on Monday, August 25, 2014 at 1400 in the Nursing Testing Center.
- You must successfully pass this exam to administer medications in the clinical setting.
HESI Specialty Test:
- The HESI specialty test is a mandatory course requirement. Print and take the correct HESI Form (located here) to the cashier's office with the fee and bring the receipt with you to the computer lab for the HESI test. See the course calendar for date and time.
RNSG 1262 Childbearing and Childrearing Clinical
- Clinical experience consists of two five-week rotations divided into a pediatric and an obstetric rotation.
PREPARATION FOR CLINICAL: GO TO THIS LINK: https://sites.google.com/a/austincc.edu/ch_1412-1262/ch-prep-1262
Preparation: PLEASE COMPLETE the COMPASS TRAINING PRIOR TO THE FIRST DAY OF THE PEDIATRIC ROTATION
- Where: Dell Children's Medical Center
- When: Pediatric clinical days consist of 12-hour clinical days/evenings on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, or Saturday. Specific groups assigned first class day.
- Seton Medical Center
- North Austin Medical Center
- St. David's Medical Center
- When: Wednesday or Thursdays 06:30 - 18:30. Occasionally a Friday clinical rotation is scheduled.
All students must present an ADN Clinical Clearance ticket to the Level 3 Coordinator on the first day of class.
If you have any questions, please contact Jeanie Ward, RN, MSN, CNE via email at email@example.com