RNSG 1412 - Theory Class Nursing Care of the Childbearing and Childrearing Family
Level 3 CEC - Fall 2016
- Date: August 29 immediately following Mental Health content
- Time and Place: 1130-1200, C1.110
- What to bring: A copy of the course calendar as posted below and RNSG 1412 course syllabus and course signature page.
Calendar: Fall 2016
- McKinney, E.S., James, S.R., Murray, S.S. Nelson, K.A. Ashwill, J.W. (2013). Maternal - Child Nursing (4th ed.). St. Louis, MO. Elsevier/Saunders.
- Zerwekh, J., Garmeau, A.Z. (2015). Nursing Today. Transition and Trends. (8th ed.). Maryland Heights, MO: Elsevier/Saunders.
- When: Tuesday from 0800 - 1200, C1.110
- Refer to course calendar weekly for additional scheduled labs or class time extension.
- Where: CEC classroom location: as indicated on course calendar/check reader board in the CEC lobby daily for updates
- Four tests and a comprehensive final exam
- Tests administered in the CEC computer lab C2.127
- See calendar for specific exam dates
Labs: All labs are mandatory attendance
- Pediatric and obstetric orientation lab. See calendar for dates.
- Simulation lab scheduled November 22, 2016 in CEC skills lab from 1300 - 1630.
- Pediatric Growth and Development and medication lab scheduled on September 6, 2016 from 1315-1615.
Mastery Skills Check Off: August 29, 2016 1300-1700; CEC Skills Lab C1.226, C1.227
- There will be a comprehensive mastery skills check off to include a sterile procedure, medication administration and documentation. Any of the following may be included for mastery:
- Medication administration all routes, including site location
- Foley catheterization
- Intravenous medications (piggy-back, calculation of drip rate and IV push administration)
- Tracheostomy care and suctioning
- Phlebotomy from Central Line, Central line dressing change and cap change
- Sterile dressing change
- Each student will receive a patient scenario and complete the skills performance in 30 minutes, including documentation.
- Each student must successfully complete mastery skills check off to continue in any Level 3 course.
- Please utilize the available open lab times for practice.
Dosage and Calculation Exam:
- All students must take a dosage and calculations exam on September 2, 2016, starting promptly at 1330 in the computer testing lab at CEC C2.127.
- You must successfully pass this exam with a score of 90% or higher to administer medications in the clinical setting and to continue in any level 3 course. You have 3 opportunities to demonstrate proficiency on the dosage and calculations exam.
- Bring ADN Clinical Clearance Ticket as your permit into this exam.
HESI OB/Pediatric Specialty Exam:
- The HESI specialty exam is a mandatory course requirement. You will need to print the payment HESI Form take it to any ACC cashier's office and bring the payment receipt for admission to the HESI exam. See course calendar for date and time.
RNSG 1262 Childbearing and Childrearing Clinical
- Clinical experience consists of two five-week rotations divided into a pediatric and an obstetric rotation.
- Students who are co-enrolled in RNSG 2213 will also attend a five week mental health clinical rotation.
- Changes to clinical rotation placement will not be allowed.
- Refer to clinical rotation schedule posted in Blackboard for clinical sites, days and faculty.
- The first day for OB and pediatric rotation will be two simulation days (Wednesday and Thursday). See calendar for first week schedule.
Pediatric Rotation:Preparation: PLEASE COMPLETE the COMPASS TRAINING PRIOR TO THE FIRST DAY OF THE PEDIATRIC ROTATION. See BlackBoard course site for instructions.
- Where: Dell Children's Medical Center
- When: Pediatric clinical days consist of 12-hour clinical days/evenings on Wednesday, Thursday.
- Seton Main Medical Center
- St. David's Main Medical Center
- North Austin Medical Center
- When: Wednesday, Thursday for 12 hours each week; or a combination of Wednesday and Thursday for a total of 12 hours.
If you have any questions, please contact the CEC level 3 lead Professor, Debbie Perez MSN, CNS, CNE at email@example.com.