RNSG 1412 - Theory Class Nursing Care of the Childbearing and Childrearing Family
RNSG 1262 - Childbearing/Childrearing Clinical
Level 3 CEC - Spring 2015
- Professor Debbie Perez RN, MSN, CNS, CNE (CEC level lead)
- Professor Ann Hearn RNC, MSN
- Professor Alexis Jones RN, MSN, NNP
- Date: January 20, 2015
- Time and Place: 0730 - 0830 CEC room C1.114
- What to bring: A copy of the course calendar as posted below and RNSG 1412 course syllabus.
Calendar: Spring 2015
Textbook - McKinney, E..; James, S.; Murray, S.; Bindler, Ashwell, J.; Maternal - Child Nursing fourth ed. 2014: Saunders Elsevier, St.Louis, Missouri
- When: Tuesday from 0800 - 1200
- Refer to course calendar weekly for additional scheduled labs or class time extension.
- Where: CEC classroom location: as indicated on course calendar/check reader board in the CEC lobby daily for updates
- Four exams and a comprehensive final exam
- Tests administered in the CEC computer lab C2.127
- See calendar for specific exam dates
Labs: All labs are mandatory
- Pediatric and obstetric orientation lab. See calendar for dates.
- Simulation lab scheduled April 21, 2015 in CEC skills lab from 1300 - 1630.
- Pediatric Growth and Development and medication lab scheduled on January 27, 2015 from 1300-1600.
Mastery Skills Check Off: January 26, 2015, 1330 - 1630 CEC Skills Lab C1.226, C1.227
- There will be a comprehensive mastery skills check off to include a sterile procedure, medication administration and documentation. Any of the following may be included for mastery:
- Medication administration all routes, including site location
- Foley and urethral (straight catheter) catheterization
- Intravenous medications (piggy-back, starting an IV, calculation of drip rate and IV push administration)
- Tracheostomy care and suctioning
- Sterile dressing change
- Each student will receive a patient scenario and complete the skills performance in 30 minutes, including documentation.
- Each student must successfully complete mastery skills check off to continue in any Level 3 course.
- Please utilize the available open lab times for practice.
Dosage Calculation Exam:
- All students must take a dosage and calculations exam on January 20, 2015 from 1200 - 1300, starting promptly at 1200 in the computer testing lab at CEC C2.127.
- You must successfully pass this exam with a score of 90% or higher to administer medications in the clinical setting and to continue in any level 3 course. You have 3 opportunities to demonstrate proficiency on the dosage and calculations exam.
- Bring ADN Clinical Clearance Ticket as your permit into this exam.
HESI OB/Pediatric Specialty Exam:
- The HESI specialty exam is a mandatory course requirement. You will need to print the payment HESI Form take it to any ACC cashier's office and bring the payment receipt for admission to the HESI exam. See the course calendar for date and time.
RNSG 1262 Childbearing and Childrearing Clinical
- Clinical experience consists of two five-week rotations divided into a pediatric and an obstetric rotation.
- Students who are co-enrolled in RNSG 2213 will also attend a five week mental health clinical rotation.
- Changes to clinical rotation placement will not be allowed.
- All CEC students will begin the semester in the Pediatrics rotation, followed by Mental Health for rotation 2, and Obstetrics for rotation 3.
Pediatric Rotation:Preparation: PLEASE COMPLETE the COMPASS TRAINING PRIOR TO THE FIRST DAY OF THE PEDIATRIC ROTATION
- Where: Dell Children's Medical Center
- When: Pediatric clinical days consist of 12-hour clinical days/evenings on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, or Saturday or a combination of days and evenings.
- Seton Main Medical Center
- St. David's Main Medical Center
- North Austin Medical Center
- When: Wednesday, Thursday or Friday for 12 hours each week; or a combination of Wednesday and Thursday for a total of 12 hours.
If you have any questions, please contact the CEC level 3 lead Professor, Debbie Perez MSN, CNS, CNE at firstname.lastname@example.org.