RNSG 1412 - Theory Class Nursing Care of the Childbearing and Childrearing Family
Level 3 CEC - Spring 2017
- Date: January 17, 2017
- Time and Place: 0730-0800, C1.110
- What to bring: A copy of the course calendar as posted below and RNSG 1412 course syllabus and course syllabus signature page.
- Bring Clinical Clearance Ticket
Calendar: Spring 2017
- McKinney, E.S., James, S.R., Murray, S.S. Nelson, K.A. Ashwill, J.W. (2013). Maternal - Child Nursing (4th ed.). St. Louis, MO. Elsevier/Saunders.
- Zerwekh, J., Garmeau, A.Z. (2015). Nursing Today. Transition and Trends. (8th ed.). Maryland Heights, MO: Elsevier/Saunders.
- EHR Tutor: https://my.ehrtutor.com
- When: Tuesday from 0800 - 1200, C1.110 (see calendar for dates for additional hours)
- Refer to course calendar weekly for additional scheduled labs or class time extension.
- Where: CEC classroom location: as indicated on course calendar/check reader board in the CEC lobby daily for updates
- Four exams and a comprehensive final exam
- Exams administered in the CEC computer lab C2.127
- See calendar for specific exam dates
Labs: All labs are mandatory attendance
- Pediatric and obstetric orientation and lab. See calendar for dates.
- Simulation lab scheduled April 18, 2017 in CEC skills lab from 1300 - 1630.
- Pediatric Growth and Development lab scheduled on January 24, 2017 from 1315-1615.
Mastery Skills Check Off: January 23, 2017 1330-1630; CEC Skills Lab C1.226, C1.305
- There will be a comprehensive mastery skills check off to include a sterile procedure, medication administration and documentation. Any of the following may be included for mastery:
- Medication administration all routes, including site location
- Foley catheterization
- Intravenous medications (piggy-back, calculation of infusion and IV push administration)
- Tracheostomy care and suctioning
- Phlebotomy from Central Line, Central line dressing change and cap change
- Sterile dressing change
- Each student will receive a patient scenario and complete the skills performance in 30 minutes, including documentation.
- Each student must successfully complete mastery skills check off to continue in OB/PEDI Level 3 course.
- Please utilize the available open lab times for practice.
Dosage and Calculation Exam:
- All students must take a dosage and calculations exam on January 20, 2017, starting promptly at 1130 in the computer testing lab at CEC C2.127.
- You must successfully pass this exam with a score of 90% or higher to administer medications in the clinical setting and to continue in any level 3 course. You have 3 opportunities to demonstrate proficiency on the dosage and calculations exam.
HESI OB/Pediatric Specialty Exam:
- The HESI specialty exam is a mandatory course requirement scheduled April 25, 2017, 1330-1530 . You will need to print the payment HESI Form take it to any ACC cashier's office and bring the payment receipt for admission to the HESI exam. See course calendar for date and time.
RNSG 1262 Childbearing and Childrearing Clinical
- Clinical experience consists of two five-week rotations divided into a pediatric and an obstetric rotation.
- Students who are co-enrolled in RNSG 2213 will also attend a five week mental health clinical rotation.
- Changes to clinical rotation placement will not be allowed.
- Refer to clinical rotation schedule posted in Blackboard for clinical sites, days and faculty.
- The first day for OB and pediatric rotation will be two clinical lab days at CEC (Wednesday and Thursday).
Pediatric Rotation:Preparation: PLEASE COMPLETE the COMPASS TRAINING PRIOR TO THE FIRST DAY OF THE PEDIATRIC ROTATION. See BlackBoard course site for instructions.
- Where: Dell Children's Medical Center
- When: Pediatric clinical days consist of 12-hour clinical day on Friday
- Seton Main Medical Center (Complete Compass training prior to clinical)
- North Austin Medical Center
- When: Thursday for 12 hours each week
If you have any questions, please contact the CEC level 3 lead Professor, Debbie Perez MSN, CNS, CNE at email@example.com.