RNSG 1413 – Foundations of Nursing
- Date: Thursday 21 August 2014
- Time and Place: Arrive 8:15 am, Round Rock campus, Room 3339
- What to bring: Paper and pen. Tape recorders are welcome.
- Lunch - there is no Simon's Cafe at RRC. The student nurses' association will provide water and chips and cookies.
- If you have not already done so, be sure to activate your ACC gmail account, or you may miss important communications from your instructors.
Calendar - Fall 2014
- When: MW 8-12, some days until 12:30 or 1 pm, see the calendar
- Where: RRC Group A 3233, Group B 3336; assignment to a group will be made before classes begin
- When: See calendar for dates; labs meet T/TH 8-12 or 12-4; assignment to morning or afternoon lab will be made before classes begin. There will be a limited opportunity for hardship switches only.
- Where: RRC 3229, Nursing Skills Labs
- What to bring: lab module information, watch with second hand, lab packs (when assigned), stethoscope/scissors as assigned
Orientation to Simulations Lab and Cerner: On the first day of classes, we will begin orientation sessions for the Simulations Lab and the Cerner charting system. There will be three sessions available, on 8/25 12-2 pm, 8/27 1-3 pm, or 9/3 12-2 pm. Please come prepared to sign up for one of these sessions.
Level Mastery Skills Check-Off: LEVEL MASTERY CHECK-OFF WILL BE HELD AT RRC ON FRIDAY 29 August BETWEEN 8 AM & 12 NOON for all students. This comprehensive mastery skills check-off will be over previously learned skills in RNSG 1105.
- You will be checked off on vital signs plus one additional 1105 skill.
- You must satisfactorily complete the assigned skills to continue in Level 1.
- Please practice the skills that you learned in RNSG 1105 over and over until you have mastered them, in preparation for this Level 1 Mastery Check-Off.
- The nursing labs at RRC & EVC will be open the week before the semester begins for practice. You are encouraged to take advantage of this practice opportunity.
RNSG 1413 Mastery Skills Check Offs:
In addition to the Level Mastery Skills Check-Off, there will also be mastery skills check offs for other skills that will be taught in Level 1.
- Mastery skills check-offs will cover:
- Physical Assessment
- Medication Administration, including PO & injections (IM, sub-q)
- Enteral tubes
- Sterile Technique
- Urinary Catheterization
- You must pass all check-offs satisfactorily to continue in the course.
Dosage Calculation Test:
- You will be required to take a dosage calculation test in the first week of the semester.
- Review your dosage calculations! Tutorials will be offered
- Date & Time: Wednesday 27 August, 8 am
- Place: Testing Lab RRC 3334.01 and 3334.03
RNSG 1160 Foundations Clinical
- See course calendar (Fall 2014). Clinical hours are on Thursday and Friday mornings; the exact times will vary depending on the clinical site and instructor.
- Additional time at the clinical site for clinical preparation may be required prior to clinical each week.
- Assignments to clinical groups will be made before classes begin, on the basis of geographic proximity between student addresses and the clinical sites. There will be a limited opportunity for hardship switches only.
- Students will be oriented to the clinical course during the first week of the course.
- Orientation to the clinical site will take place on Friday 5 September at each clinical facility.
- Students are expected to have their ACC ID badge, uniform, lab coat with ACC patch, and all required equipment prior to the first clinical day.
- Daily/weekly clinical assignments will be at the discretion of each instructor. Amount of time needed for preparation will differ depending on the nature of the assignment.