RNSG 1413 – Foundations of Nursing
- Date: Thursday 20 August 2015
- Time and Place: Arrive 8:15 am, Round Rock campus, Room 3336
- What to bring: Paper and pen.
- Lunch - there is no Simon's Cafe at RRC. The student nurses' association will provide water and chips and cookies.
- If you have not already done so, be sure to activate your ACC gmail account, or you may miss important communications from your instructors.
Calendar - Fall 2015
- When: MW 8-12, some days until 12:30 p.m. -- see the calendar
- Where: RRC 3336
- When: See calendar for dates; labs meet T/TH 8-12 or 12-4; assignment to morning or afternoon lab will be made before classes begin. There will be a limited opportunity for hardship switches only.
- Where: RRC 3229, Nursing Skills Labs
- What to bring: lab module information, watch with second hand, lab packs (when assigned), stethoscope/scissors as assigned
Orientation to Simulations Lab and Cerner: On the first week of classes, we will begin orientation sessions for the Simulations Lab and the Cerner charting system. There will be three sessions available, on 8/24 1-3 p.m., 8/26 1-3 p.m. and on 8/27 1-3 p.m. Please come prepared to sign up for one of these sessions.
Level Mastery Skills Check-Off: LEVEL MASTERY CHECK-OFF WILL BE HELD AT RRC ON FRIDAY August 28th BETWEEN 8 AM & 12 NOON for all students. This comprehensive mastery skills check-off will be over previously learned skills in RNSG 1105.
- You will be checked off on vital signs plus one additional 1105 skill.
- You must satisfactorily complete the assigned skills to continue in Level 1.
- Please practice the skills that you learned in RNSG 1105 over and over until you have mastered them, in preparation for this Level 1 Mastery Check-Off.
- The nursing labs at RRC & EVC will be open the week before the semester begins for practice. You are encouraged to take advantage of this practice opportunity.
Failure to pass the Mastery Level Check-off on the first attempt will be managed according to the policy for Critical Skill Performance Mastery in the Student Handbook.
RNSG 1413 Mastery Skills Check Offs:
In addition to the Level Mastery Skills Check-Off, there will also be mastery skills check offs for other skills that will be taught in Level 1.
- Mastery skills check-offs will cover:
- Physical Assessment
- Medication Administration, including PO & injections (IM, sub-q)
- Enteral tubes
- Sterile Technique
- Urinary Catheterization
- You must pass all check-offs satisfactorily to continue in the course.
Dosage Calculation Test:
- You will be required to take a dosage calculation test in the first week of the semester.
- Review your dosage calculations! Tutorials will be offered
- Date & Time: Wednesday 26 August, 8 am
- Place: Testing Lab RRC 3334.01 and 3334.03
Failure to pass the Dosage Calculation Test on the first attempt will be managed according to the policy for Critical Skill Performance Mastery in the Student Handbook.
RNSG 1160 Foundations Clinical
- See course calendar (Fall 2015 ). Clinical hours are on Thursday and Friday mornings; the exact times will vary depending on the clinical site and instructor.
- Additional time at the clinical site for clinical preparation may be required prior to clinical each week.
- Assignments to clinical groups will be made before classes begin, on the basis of geographic proximity between student addresses and the clinical sites. There will be a limited opportunity for hardship switches only.
- Students will be oriented to the clinical course during the first week of the course.
- Orientation to the clinical site will take place on Friday 4 September at each clinical facility.
- Students are expected to have their ACC ID badge, uniform, lab coat with ACC patch, and all required equipment prior to the first clinical day.
- Daily/weekly clinical assignments will be at the discretion of each instructor. Amount of time needed for preparation will differ depending on the nature of the assignment.