RNSG 1413 - Foundations of Nursing
- Date: Thursday, August 20, 2015
- Time and Place: Arrive at 7:45, EVC Room 8223
- What to bring: Paper and pen. Packed lunch or money to buy lunch at the campus cafe.
- If you have not already done so, be sure to activate your ACC gmail account or you may miss important communications from your instructors.
Calendar: Fall 2015 (This is the proposed calendar and is subject to change.)
- When: MW 8:00-11:30 (some days until 12:30 p.m., see the calendar)
- Where: EVC 8223
- When: See calendar for dates; most labs in this course meet Tuesdays, Lab sections meet 8-12 or 1-5. Assignment to morning or afternoon lab will be made before classes begin. There will be limited opportunity for hardship switches only.
- Where: EVC Nursing Skills Labs, see sign on lab door indicating lab room
- What to Bring: lab module information, watch with second hand, lab packs (when assigned), stethoscope/scissors as assigned.
Orientation to Cerner: We will be utilizing an electronic computer charting for skills lab and simulation. Orientation for this computer program will be partially self study in preparation for classroom orientation on Monday, September 21 in Room 8307 from 11-1.
Level Mastery Skills Check-Off: LEVEL MASTERY CHECK-OFF WILL BE HELD AT EVC ON FRIDAY, August 27 BETWEEN 8 AM AND 2 PM FOR ALL STUDENTS . This comprehensive mastery skills check-off will be over previously learned skills in RNSG 1105.
- You will be checked off on vital signs plus one additional 1105 skill.
- You must satisfactorily complete the assigned skills to continue in Level 1.
- Please practice the skills that you learned in RNSG 1105 over and over until you have mastered them in preparation for this Level 1 Mastery Check-Off.
- The nursing labs at RRC and EVC will be open the week before the semester begins for practice. You are encouraged to take advantage of this practice opportunity.
RNSG 1413 Mastery Skills Check Offs:
In addition to the Level Mastery Skills Check-Off, there will also be mastery skills check offs for other skills that will be taught in Level 1.
- Mastery skills check-offs will cover:
- Physical Assessment
- Medication Administration, including PO and Injections (IM, sub-q)
- Urinary Catheterization
- Enteral tubes
- Sterile Technique/Dressings
- You must pass all check-offs satisfactorily to continue in the course.
Dosage Calculation Test:
- You will be required to take a dosage calculation test in the first week of the semester.
- Date and Time: Wednesday, August 26 at 8:00 a.m.
- Place: EVC 8223
RNSG 1160 Foundations Clinical
- See course calendar (link to calendar), to be distributed at orientation. Clinical hours are usually on Thursday and Friday mornings, but exact hours/times TBA depending on clinical site, instructor.
- Additional time at the clinical site for clinical preparation may be required during each week of the course.
- Assignments to clinical groups will be made before classes begin, on the basis of geographic proximity between student addresses and clinical sites. There will be a limited opportunity for hardship switches only.
- Students will be oriented to the clinical course during the first week of the course.
- Orientation to the clinical site will take place on Friday, September 4 (per clinical instructor) at each clinical facility.
- Students are expected to have their ACC ID badge, uniform, lab coat with ACC patch, and all required equipment prior to the clinical orientation day.
- Daily/weekly clinical assignments will be at the discretion of each instructor. Amount of time needed for preparation will differ depending on the nature of the assignment.