Orientation: Orientation Info
Date and Location info are listed on the above website.
Calendar - Fall 2016
- Where: 8110
- When: August 25, 2016; 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Dosage Calculation Test:
- You will be required to take a dosage calculation during the second week of the semester. So review your dosage calculation!
Class (or Seminars:)
- Mondays and Tuesdays
- 3:00-6:00 p.m.
- EVC 8106
All students will be required to pass a comprehensive mastery skills check-off to show competency in skills learned in your previous classes. This will take place on the second day of class--that is, the day we cover Therapeutic Communication. Below is a list of skills that you should review. You must pass the competency checkoff by the third attempt to continue in the program. The checklists for these skills are under Course Information in Blackboard. If you have the checklists from 1105, you do not need to reprint them. All items must be completed to pass. You will need to print and bring with you the Safety Measures for all Skills Performances found at http://www.austincc.edu/health/rnsg/taylor_skills/skills.php
From now on, we will use Safety Measures for all Skill Performances in addition to each skill you will be required to perform. These Safety Measures are always required.
Page numbers are from Taylor, C., Lillis, C., LeMone, P., and Lynn, P. (2015). Fundamentals of nursing: The art and science of nursing care. (8th ed.) Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott, Williams, & Wilkins.
vital signs, p. 578-623
bed bath, p. 914-913, 923-937
handwashing, p. 540-544, 558-560
isolation precautions, p. 554-555, 561-564
infection control, p. 530-577, 539
transfer, p. 1093-1105
ROM, p. 1105-1113
Specimen collection: urine collection - p. 1274-1277; stool specimen - p. 1355-1356
I&O's, p. 1272-1274
You will be given a small scenario that incorporates some but not all of the skills listed above and will demonstrate the skills for the instructor with a partner.
For further information please review the ADN Student Handbook.
- Where: Eastview Campus
- When: 1st 6 weeks of class
- Wednesday: 3 p.m. - 9 p.m. Lab
- Thursday: 3 p.m. - 9 p.m. Lab
- Additional times as necessary for tutoring and re-checks
- What to Bring: Lab pack - See orientation information above.
- Wilson, B.A., Shannon, M.T., & Shields, K.M. (current year). Pearson Nurse's Drug Guide, (current ed.) Upper Saddle River. Pearson Education, Inc.
- Pagana and Pagana. (2013) Mosby's Manual of Diagnostic and Laboratory Tests (5th ed.). Mosby.
- Lewis, S., Heitkemper, M., Dirkson, S., O'Brien, P., Buchner, L. (2014), Medical-Surgical Nursing (9th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Mosby Elsevier.
- Taylor, C., Lillis, C., LeMone, P., and Lynn, P. (2015). Fundamentals of Nursing: The Art and Science of Nursing Care. (8th ed.) Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott, William, & Wilkins
- Videbeck, S. (2014) Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing. (6th ed.) Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins.
- Purchase access to ATI for the semester.
- Corwin, E., Handbook of Pathophysiology. (4th ed.) Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott
- Lacharity/Kamagal. Prioritization, delegation and assignments. (3rd ed.) Elsevier
RNSG 1263 Clinical
Clinical will begin the week of October 2nd. Clinical orientation will be on Wednesday, October 5 from 4-9 p.m. There will be a simulation day on Thursday, October 6 from 8-4 p.m. Starting the following week, clinical will be either Wednesday day shift, Thursday evening shift, or Thursday-Friday day shift.
RNSG 1270 Nursing Process
Nursing process class will meet on Thursdays from 12:30-2:00 p.m. at EVC, room TBA.