Volunteer Sessions (Student Labs) for Fall 2017
Who can volunteer? Anyone who is willing to assist the Sonography student's with their education and training. You are the "patient" for the session!
Volunteer sessions are 1 hour in length. All volunteers are scanned by experienced, credentialed faculty members as well as a student or students who are in various stages of their sonography education.
When you arrive for your Volunteer Session, you will complete highlighted portions of your Sonography Waiver form. At the end of your session you will receive the yellow copy of the Waiver form. You should retain your copy of the Waiver form for documentation for extra credit. If you plan to apply to a Sonography Program, you will receive a Tracking Sheet for your Volunteer session that you will submit with your Application Packet documents.
Sonography student labs are non-diagnostic; the scans are not "read" by a physician.* You will role-play as a "patient" with health problems or complaints so that our students can develop their patient communication skills. Please follow the instructions of the faculty in the lab for your role as a "patient".
You will be asked to change out of your clothing and put on a patient gown for many types of scans and parts of your body will be uncovered as needed for scans; the student will maintain your privacy as your scan is performed. You may be scanned by one or two students during your one hour session.
- Round Rock Campus, Building 3000, Room 3228 (second floor)
- Cardiac and Vascular Sonography: contact the DCVS Clinical Coordinator at 512-223-0294 for times and appointments for the Diagnostic Cardiac and Vascular Program sessions.
- DCS days: Monday and Wednesday (various times)
- VT: Thursday (various times)
- Eastview Campus, Building 9000, Room 9203 (second floor)
- Medical and Vascular Sonography: contact the DMVS Clinical Coordinator at 512-223-5945 for times, appointments, and scan preparations for the Diagnostic Medical and Vascular Program sessions
- DMS days: Monday and Wednesday (various times)
- VT days: Tuesday and Thursday (various times)
Types of scans performed in the Sonography Programs student labs:
- DCS Program scans: adult heart (echocardiogram)
- DMS Program scans: abdominal organs (liver, gallbladder, pancreas, spleen, kidneys, vessels), female pelvis (uterus, ovaries), and pregnancy (contact the DMS Clinical Coordinator for special requirements for obstetric scan volunteers).
- VT Program scans: arteries and veins throughout the body (carotid arteries, leg arteries, arm arteries and veins, abdominal arteries and veins).
*Individuals with a medical complaint (current health problem) are not accepted and should seek medical care from a licensed healthcare provider.