Health Sciences Application Process
Admission to Austin Community College does not guarantee admission to a Health Sciences program. ALL Health Sciences program applicants must:
- Enroll in ACC and begin taking relevant program prerequisites
- Follow the admission steps for the Health Sciences program you prefer.
- Collect the required documentation and/or complete all immunizations before applying for program admission.
- Submit your program application.
Surgical Technology Program Application Steps
Applications for this program are accepted on an on-going basis once all admission requirements have been met. Admission is based on application date; the date students have their application accepted and processed by the Health Science Information and Admissions office. We admit 24 for the Fall (16 for the Eastview Campus and 8 for the Round Rock Campus). Spring admission is for Eastview only.
Apply to ACC.
Effective Fall 2016, the following 8 prerequisites must be complete before an application will be accepted.
- BIOL 2404: Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology (must be current within 5 years of application) (or BIOL 2304/2101 Human Anatomy or BIOL 2305/2102 Human Physiology or BIOL 2401 Anatomy and Physiology I or BIOL 2402 Anatomy and Physiology II within the 5-year limit)
- BIOL 2420: Introduction to Microbiology (must be current within 5 years of application). This course has a prerequisite of BIOL 2404 Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology or BIOL 2304/2101 Human Anatomy Lecture and Lab.
- HPRS 1206: Medical Terminology
- MATH X3XX: Choose from MATH 1314, MATH 1332 or MATH 1342 (if you have any other 3-credit math class, please contact the Health Science Office).
- ENGL 1301 English Composition I (not required if applying to the Certificate Program)
- HPRS 2300 Pharmacology for Health Professions. This course has a prerequisite of BIOL 2404 Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology or BIOL 2304/2101 Human Anatomy Lecture and Lab
- SPCH 1318 Interpersonal Communication (or SPCH 1311 or SPCH 1315 or SPCH 1321) (not required if applying to the Certificate Program).
- PHIL 2306 Ethics or 3-credit hour course from the Language, Philosophy, Culture or Creative Arts Core Curriculum selections (not required if applying to the Certificate Program).
Students must complete the prerequisites with a “C” or better and meet the minimum GPA requirement of 2.0 to be eligible for admission to the Surgical Technology Program.
Prior to submitting your application, please upload the following documents to your Certified Profile account.
- Information Session Verification Form (Post Test)
Print and fill out a Surgical Technology program application.
Students who have successfully completed these steps will be placed in the next beginning class in which openings are available. The department is limited by available clinical spaces to approximately 16 students per semester. Exceptions are students, who have previously completed a Certificate Program in Surgical Technology at ACC or other accredited program, may apply for the A.A.S. Degree upon completion of the required courses.
A student may defer their admission for a limit of 2 semesters and the deferral must be within 1 year. Once the 2 semester limit is reached, the student must reapply with a new application, must meet all current admission criteria, and be assigned to the next available seat on the wait list.
Fall 2015 admission deferred to Spring 2016 semester = 1st deferral
Spring 2016 semester deferred to Fall 2016 semester = 2nd deferral (limit reached)
Fall 2015 admission deferred to Fall 2016 semester = 1st deferral
Fall 2016 semester deferred to Fall 2017 semester = 2nd deferral (limit reached)
Upon Conditional Acceptance to the Surgical Technology Program:
- To be compliant with clinical facility requirements, a mandatory criminal background check will be required prior to admission to the Surgical Technology Program. As specific timeslines must be met, do not do this until instructed by the Program.
- To be compliant with clinical facility requirements, a mandatory drug screen is required for clinical rotations. As specific timelines must be met, do not do this until instructed by the Program.
- To be compliant with clinical facility requirements, health insurance is mandatory for clinical rotations and is required for full admission to a Surgical Technology Program. As specific timeines must be met, do not submit documentation of health insurance until instructed by the Program.
If you have concerns about events in your background, please contact the Health Science Compliance Coordinator, Lisa Enloe, at 512-223-5867 or e-mail email@example.com