Health Sciences Application Process
Admission to Austin Community College does not guarantee admission to a Health Sciences program. ALL Health Sciences program applicants must:
- Enroll in ACC and begin taking relevant program prerequisites
- Follow the admission steps for the Health Sciences program you prefer.
- Collect the required documentation and/or complete all immunizations before applying for program admission.
- Submit your program application.
Surgical Technology Program Application Steps
Applications for this program are accepted on an on-going basis once all admission requirements have been met. Admission is based on application date; the date students have their application accepted and processed by the Health Science Information and Admissions office. We admit 24 for the Fall (16 for the Eastview Campus and 8 for the Round Rock Campus). Spring admission is for Eastview only.
Apply to ACC.
Fulfill all immunization requirements (some immunizations can take six months to complete). Immunizations must be submitted on the ACC Immunization Form and uploaded to your Castle Branch (formerly known as Certfied Profile) account. Use code UL64im ($30 fee) .
Complete a mandatory Information Session for Surgical Technology online. Upload a copy of the verification page to your Castle Branch (formerly known as Certfied Profile) account. Use code UL83im.
The following 4 prerequisites must be complete before an application will be accepted.
- BIOL 2404: Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology (must be current within 5 years of application) (or BIOL 2304/2101 Human Anatomy or BIOL 2305/2102 Human Physiology or BIOL 2401 Anatomy and Physiology I or BIOL 2402 Anatomy and Physiology II within the 5-year limit) *NOTE: If your future goals include plans to further your education with ACC's ADN Mobility Track or a 4-year degree, you are advised to take Anatomy and Physiology I and II.
- BIOL 2420: Introduction to Microbiology (must be current within 5 years of application). This course has a prerequisite of BIOL 2404 Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology or BIOL 2304/2101 Human Anatomy Lecture and Lab.
- HPRS 1206: Medical Terminology
- MATH X3XX: Choose from MATH 1314, MATH 1332 or MATH 1342 (if you have any other 3-credit math class, please contact the Health Science Office).
Due to the rigorous nature of the program and anticipated degree plan changes in the near future, you are strongly encouraged to complete the following prerequisites before entering the program.
- ENGL 1301 English Composition I (not required if applying to the Certificate Program)
- HPRS 2300 Pharmacology for Health Professions. This course has a prerequisite of BIOL 2404 Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology or BIOL 2304/2101 Human Anatomy Lecture and Lab
- SPCH 1318 Interpersonal Communication (or SPCH 1311 or SPCH 1315 or SPCH 1321) (not required if applying to the Certificate Program).
- PHIL 2306 Ethics or 3-credit hour course from the Language, Philosophy, Culture or Creative Arts Core Curriculum selections (not required if applying to the Certificate Program).
Students must complete the prerequisites with a “C” or better and meet the minimum GPA requirement of 2.0 to be eligible for admission to the Surgical Technology Program.
Prior to submitting your application, please upload the following documents to your Castle Branch (formerly known as Certfied Profile) account.
- Information Session Verification Form (Post Test)
Print and fill out a Surgical Technology program application. Submit to a Health Sciences office at Eastview or Round Rock once all documents are approved in Castle Branch (formerly known as Certfied Profile) account. Include an unofficial copy of transcripts from other schools with your application.
Students who have successfully completed these steps will be placed in the next beginning class in which openings are available. The department is limited by available clinical spaces to approximately 16 students per semester.
Students interested in the Surgical Technology program are advised to be diligent and proactive in routinely reviewing this website for updates to the application process and/or degree plans.
A student may defer their admission for a limit of 2 semesters and the deferral must be within 1 year. Once the 2 semester limit is reached, the student must reapply with a new application, must meet all current admission criteria, and be assigned to the next available seat on the wait list.
Fall 2015 admission deferred to Spring 2016 semester = 1st deferral
Spring 2016 semester deferred to Fall 2016 semester = 2nd deferral (limit reached)
Fall 2015 admission deferred to Fall 2016 semester = 1st deferral
Fall 2016 semester deferred to Fall 2017 semester = 2nd deferral (limit reached)
Important Note: In the event your Anatomy & Physiology and/or Microbiology course(s) expire under the 5-year time limit rule during your deferral period, you will need to repeat the expired course(s) prior to being admitted under the deferral policy.
Upon Conditional Acceptance to the Surgical Technology Program:
- To be compliant with clinical facility requirements, a mandatory criminal background check will be required prior to admission to the Surgical Technology Program. As specific timeslines must be met, do not do this until instructed by the Program.
- To be compliant with clinical facility requirements, a mandatory drug screen is required for clinical rotations. As specific timelines must be met, do not do this until instructed by the Program.
- To be compliant with clinical facility requirements, health insurance is mandatory for clinical rotations and is required for full admission to a Surgical Technology Program. As specific timeines must be met, do not submit documentation of health insurance until instructed by the Program.
If you have concerns about events in your background, please contact the Health Science Compliance Coordinator, Lisa Enloe, at 512-223-5867 or e-mail email@example.com