Health Sciences Application Process
Admission to Austin Community College does not guarantee admission to a Health Sciences program. ALL Health Sciences program applicants must:
- Enroll in ACC and begin taking relevant pre-program recommended classes.
- Follow the admission steps for the Health Sciences program you prefer.
- Collect the required documentation and/or complete all immunizations before applying for program admission.
- Submit your program application (a criminal background check may be required)
Apply to ACC. All applicants must meet TSI (testing) requirements. Visit a campus advisor to determine status. See also: www.austincc.edu/support-and-services/services-for-students/testing-services/tsi-assessment
Review required immunization and health insurance requirements. Upload immunization records on the ACC Immunization Form to CastleBranch using order code UL64im. Note: The fee to open an account with CastleBranch is $30.
The application will not be accepted without a copy of the completed immunization record. Click here to learn more about immunizations. A current Health Data/Physical Exam Form, TB skin test, and CPR for Healthcare provider will be required prior to beginning the program.
NOTE: To be compliant with clinical facility requirements, a mandatory criminal background check will be required prior to admission. Click here for more information. Do not submit your criminal background request until directed to do so by the program.
NOTE: Do not purchase program materials until accepted into the program.
Go to the Vocational Nursing Program page to view program requirements.
Schedule the ATI TEAS (formerly TEAS V for Nursing Differentiated Skill Examination). Please be advised: The student MUST take the TEAS PRIOR to submission of application. Upload page 1 of your test score to CastleBranch using code UL85im AND submit a copy with your application.
Listed below are resources to aid the prospective student to prepare for the ATI TEAS examination
- ATI Study Guide (please note, this resource has a charge)
- Learning Express Library
Submit completed application with a copy of your TEAS score to the Eastview or Round Rock campus. Note: Applications will not be accepted until all immunizations and all items on the To Do List in CastleBranch are complete/approved with green check marks.
Note: Only the most current reapplication sheet will be accepted. Previous copies will not be accepted. When submitting a reapplication sheet, student must also submit a current Information Session Post Test.
Students will only submit a reapplication sheet if one of the following applies:
- The student received an e-mail stating they were not accepted into the current class OR
- The student was accepted into the current class but chose to defer their space
Note: Students will only receive points for resubmitting a reapplication sheet and information session post test once.
Vocational Nursing Application Checklist -- Effective Fall 2015
New students are accepted into the Vocational Nursing program as follows:
The formula for admission to the Vocational Nursing Program
The Vocational Nursing Program uses a mathematical formula to compute an applicant ranking score based on four criteria. The ranking score is used to select qualified applicants for admission into the Vocational Nursing program. All required information MUST BE submitted prior to the applicant being ranked. The formula is as follows:
Rank=(Points earned based on grade in course) + (Submission of application) + (Attendance at information session)
There are no required pre-requisite courses for the Vocational Nursing Program although students are HIGHLY ENCOURAGED to complete the following courses PRIOR TO ENTERING THE PROGRAM. The student will hae the opportunity to complete the courses during the program but must successfully complete the courses prior to progression to the next level (see Degree Plan).
A grade of "C" or better is requied for all Austin Community College Health Science courses. Any non-nursing or general education courses taken at schools other than ACC must have official transcripts.
Additional coursework completed will be taken into consideration by program's admission committee.
ATI TEAS (Nursing) Admission Examination*
(Applicant must complete PRIOR to submission of application.)
Basic - 1 point
Proficient - 2 points
Advanced - 3 points
Exemplary - 4 points
Completion of BIOL 2404 Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology or Anatomy and Physiology I and II**
(If taken prior to start of program.)
A - 6 points
B - 4 points
C - 2 points
Completion of HPRS 2300 Pharmacology for Health Professions**
(If taken prior to start of program.)
A - 6 points
B - 4 points
C - 2 points
|Submission of Application to Vocational Nursing Program||5 points|
|Information Session (in-person or online)||1 point|
Reapplication Sheet and current Information Session (in-person or online)
*Denotes TEAS test score expires two (2) years from date of examination
**Denotes science courses expire five (5) years since last attempt. Course has a prerequisite as required by the college. Will accept BIOL 2304 and BIOL 2101 from other accredited colleges if within timeframe. If taking Anatomy and Physiology I and II, the courses must be from teh same College or University.
Deadline for ALL materials required for the program:
Fall Admission: January 10th by 4:00 pm.
Spring Admission: June 1st by 4:00 pm
Deadlines are subject to change. Continue to check the deadline page for additional updates.
Note: Admission to Austin Community College does not guarantee admission to any Health Sciences program.
- All applications and re-applications turned in during an admission cycle are reviewed and ranked to compile the current ranking list.
- Applicants are selected for admission based on their placement on the current ranking list from highest rank to lowest rank.
- The Vocational Nursing Program does not maintain a rank list that allows an applicant to automatically advance in rank from one application cycle to the next.
- To be considered for admission, you must apply during each admission cycle. The new ranking list is compiled from only those who applied during that cycle. This may result in upward or downward movement on the rank from one cycle to the next as individual scores are compared to the scores of all the applicants in the current pool at that time.
- Each applicant selected for admission will be notified via e-mail and given a deadline to accept or decline the invitation to join the upcoming class.
- Acceptance letters are sent to each applicant in order of rank until all available seats in the class are filled.
- Applicants who do not respond to letters of acceptance will be removed from the applicant pool and lose all review points.
- Admission reviews are conducted twice each year. During the spring review, applicants are selected for the upcoming fall semester. During the fall review, applicants are selected for the upcoming spring semester.
- A student can defer one (1) time without penalty and still accumulate ranking points (+5) the next time they apply. Deferring a second time would result in the loss of all accumulated ranking points. The applicant must notify the admissions committee of declination of the offer of admission within thirty (30) days of receiving the acceptance e-mail. Should the student not respond to acceptance, this will result in loss of placement in the program.
How can a student earn review points?
- An additional five (5) points are added to the ranking score only twice upon reapplication. Missing two or more reapplication periods will result in the loss of all accumulated ranking points. Applications are only retained on file for one year after becoming inactive. Reapplying after one year or more requires attending another information session but no additional points will be awarded.
- If an applicant is unable to begin the Vocational Nursing program at the scheduled time after having accepted the admission, the applicant must notify the Vocational Nursing Program Admissions Coordinator at least thirty (30) days prior to the first class day. Failure to do so will result in the loss of all review points AND the student will be required to skip an application cycle.
IMPORTANT NOTE: It is critical that each applicant maintain current contact information on file with the college Admissions Office and the Nursing Office (name, address, and telephone number) since these are the official sources of information for contacting applicants.