Veterinary Technology Application Checklist
Your application will be accepted after you have completed all prerequisite work and immunizations. Note: Admission to Austin Community College does not guarantee admission to any Health Sciences program. Due date for this program is May 1st. Those who have completed their prerequisites by the application deadline will be given priority. Students that are currently enrolled in Spring courses will be allowed to use those courses toward their application.
2017-2018 Degree Plan (approved March 2017)
Apply to ACC. All applicants must meet TSI (testing) requirements. Visit a campus advisor to determine status. Students must be 18 years old or older on the first day of class per regulatory requirements.
Fulfill immunization requirements. For Veterinary Technology students, the only immunization required is the Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria and Pertussis) vaccination within the last 10 years. The program also recommends the Rabie pre-exposure vaccine. Upload your documentation to your CastleBranch account. Use code UL64im.
Complete an Information Session online. Upload the Information Session Vertification Form to your CastleBranch account. Submit signed copy validating compliance with the Technical Standard/Essential Functions. Use code UL84im.
Complete the following prerequisites with a "C" or better. Any prerequisites taken at schools other than ACC must have transcripts and course descriptions with your application.
- BIOL 1406--Cellular and Molecular Biology (completed in last 10 years). Course substitutions will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please contact the department.
- PSYC 2301--Introduction to Psychology
- MATH - 3 credits of any college level math from the core curriculum (completed in last 10 years)
- ENGL 1301-English Composition I
- Veterinary Technology Work/Career Shadowing Experience Documentation. This can be 80 hours of paid or un-paid experience under the supervision of a LVT or DVM (experience by working, career shadowing, or observing in a veterinary hospital or clinic). See form for further information. Upload the Veterinary Technology Work/Career Shadowing Experience Form to your CastleBranch account. Use code UL84im.
Meet with the Veterinary Technology Department Chair or Veterinary Technology Coordinator by May 1st. To schedule an appointment, please contact Nancy DeLeon at 512-223-9464 or 512-223-5870.
After completion of all prerequisite courses and after you have submitted your information and been approved in your CastleBranch account (green checks), submit completed application.
Veterinary Technology Selection Criteria
(Effective Fall 2018 Application Class)
- PSYC 2301 and ENGL 1301
- "A" = 10 points
- "B" = 8 points
- "C" = 6 points
- BIOL 1406 and MATH course
- "A" = 20 points
- "B" = 15 points
- "C" = 10 points
- PHIL 2306
- "A" = 3 points
- "B" = 2 points
- "C" = 1 point
Total of 63 possible points. If there are applicants that have equal number of points, the earlier application submission will "break the tie".
Unofficial or copies of transcripts from other colleges will also need to be submitted if using coursework from other institutions.
Note: To be compliant with clinical facility requirements, a mandatory criminal background check and drug screening will be required prior to admission. Click here for more information. Do not submit your criminal background request or drug screening until directed to do so by the program. Additional rabies vaccination documentation will also be required once accepted into the program.