Hourly employees are hired by ACC on a project basis, to substitute for employees on approved leave or when the workload exceeds the ability of the regular staff to accomplish work in a timely manner and on a quality basis.
Posting the Position
- The position can be advertised on the ACC Employment Opportunities website by contacting the Human Resources Employment & Outreach Services Manager.
- If you need an employee immediately, you can hire without posting.
- The title and hourly rates for hourly employees are listed in the "Employment & Compensation Information" manual. If you need a copy of the manual or if the title or rate you need is not listed, you will need to contact the HR Compensation Manager, Dana Tucker firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hiring an Hourly Employee
- Supervisors may hire hourly employees within their authorized budget. Prior approval must be secured from the next level supervisor before hiring hourly personnel.
- The new hourly employee should meet the requirements of the position as listed on the standard Position Vacancy Notice and/or the official job description.
- All new hourly employees will need to complete Form W-4, Form I-9, and Hourly Information Sheet no later than the first day of employment. If the employee worked for ACC previously, but not within the past year, these forms must be completed. The link for the forms is www.austincc.edu/hr/generalforms.php; click on Records Forms.
- Forward completed forms to Gabriela Guerrero in the HR Employment (email@example.com) by the deadlines in the "Employment & Compensation Information" manual to assure payment on the appropriate payroll. The deadlines can also be viewed at http://www.austincc.edu/hr/payroll/schedulepayments.php under "Schedule for payments".
- The hiring department will be responsible for entering the information for the Hourly Personnel Authorization on the Hourly Personnel Webpage at http://www5.austincc.edu/pas/
- The information should be entered on the Hourly Personnel Webpage and approved by budget authority by the deadlines in the "Employment & Compensation Information" manual to assure payment on the appropriate payroll.
- If the data is not entered or approved by the appropriate deadline, a check may not be generated by the system. Please go to http://www.austincc.edu/hr/payroll/schedulepayments.php for the deadlines.
- Hourly employees are not eligible for benefits, except for the Qualified Retirement Plan (ACC Money Purchase Plan).
- Hourly employees are subject to all ACC policies.
The supervisor is responsible for establishing working hours and processing timesheets.
- If an hourly employee is working less than 20 hours per week s/he cannot work more than 900 hours per fiscal year and, in addition, if the employee is working 20 hours or more, s/he cannot work more than four (4) months.
- Guidelines in #1 applies to hourly employees working in combined assignments. The employee’s supervisor should inquire as to whether the employee is working for more than one department and, if so, the supervisor should contact the other supervisor to discuss the employee’s work schedule and hours.
- If the employee reaches 900 hours before the end of the assignment, it is required that the hourly employee's employment be terminated and another employee be hired if assistance is still needed.
- An employee who reaches 900 hours may not be re-hired as an hourly employee until the next fiscal year.
- There are times when the employee may be scheduled to work but is unable to due to illness or other acceptable reasons. In this case, employees should notify their supervisor as soon as possible with the reason for their absence and anticipated return date.
Termination of Hourly Employment
- Hourly employees are hired on an as needed, at will basis. There is no guarantee of continued employment or continuation in an assignment. The employment of an hourly employee may be terminated at any time and without prior notice.
- If an hourly employee is terminated for poor performance, the HR Records section should be notified by the supervisor and HR Records will note that the employee is not eligible for re-hire.
- Once the employee has been terminated, the department will need to end the employee's hourly PA on the Personnel Authorization (PA) webpage. To end the hourly PA following the instructions below:
1. Login in PA System: http://www3.austincc.edu/it/pas/
2. Select Manage PAs then select Hourly and enter PA# or Employee Name and hit Search
3. Next select the Pencil icon () and click on End PA Early, located at the right side of screen.
4. Enter end date and select an ending reason from drop down
5. Click on Save
Absence From Work
There are times when the employee may be scheduled to work but is unable to work due to illness or other acceptable reasons. In this case, they should let their supervisor(s) know as soon as possible that they will not be in, giving the reason for their absence and anticipated return date.
Breaks and Meals
Employees are entitled to a 15-minute break for every continuous 4-hour working period. Break times and lunch periods will be scheduled by the supervisor and may be subject to change based on departmental needs.
- The employee is required to enter hours worked each day in his or her timesheet in the electronic timesheet system, called the ACCeTime System. Documentation and training for the ACCeTime System is available by clicking on the “Documentation” links on the System’s login page located at https://www3.austincc.edu/ets/.
- Total hours worked cannot exceed 40 hours per week unless the employee has received prior approval from his or her supervisor.
- Approved overtime hours are paid at 1.5 times the regular hourly rate and calculated only on hours actually worked above 40 hours per week.
- eTimesheets must be completed and "Submitted" by the employee by Tuesday at midnight, following the end of each biweekly pay period.
- Supervisors must "Approve" eTimesheets by Wednesday at midnight, following the end of each biweekly pay period.
- A new employee’s eTimesheet will not be available until the employee’s position assignment has been submitted, approved and processed by the HR Records Office. Please refer to the Schedule for Payments, located at http://www.austincc.edu/hr/payroll/documents/08_biweek_pay.pdf for due dates for position assignments. If the position assignment has been processed and an etimesheet is not available by the end of the employee’s first pay period, please contact Jeanette Landry in the Payroll Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 223-7523.