Center for Community Based and Nonprofit Organizations at Austin Community College.Welcome to Austin Community College
Human Services Department
Rio Grande Campus
1212 Rio Grande
Austin, Texas 78701
Phone: (512)223-3206 or (512)223-3211
Frequently Asked Questions for Human Services, Addictions Counseling and Therapeutic Recreation
  • Is it necessary for an individual to complete the certificate in Addictions Counseling to become a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor?
    Individuals are required to complete 270 education hours and a 300-hour practicum before applying with the Department of State Health Services to be a Counselor Intern.  Students can enroll either through Continuing Education or college credit, but for those individuals without college degrees, the Human Services program is the better choice.   An associate's degree is required to obtain state licensure.  In addition to the degree, within 5 years of becoming a Counselor Intern,  an individual must complete 4,000 hours, and pass a state exam.

Future StudentsCurrent StudentsFaculty and StaffCommunity and BusinessNewsroomA-Z Index