About the Career
Therapeutic recreation assistants use recreation services and leisure experiences to increase or maintain the physical, mental, and emotional well-being of individuals. Activities may include sports, games, dance, drama, arts and crafts, and music, as well as community outings. Therapeutic recreation assistants work in hospitals, rehabilitation centers, prisons, nursing homes, schools, and residential facilities, among other locations.
What can I expect to earn?
Entry-level salaries for graduates of Austin Community College’s Therapeutic Recreation program may range from $23,000 to $36,000 a year. According to the Texas Employment Projections 2002- 2012, job prospects are increasing. Therapeutic recreation assistants often opt to further their education to enhance career prospects and earnings.
About our program
ACC’s Therapeutic Recreation program will prepare you for successful employment as a therapeutic recreation assistant. A part of ACC’s Human Services Department, our Therapeutic Recreation program offers both classroom instruction and practical training, including internships that will develop your skills in a real-life setting. Upon completion, you will be able to seek certification with the Consortium for Therapeutic Recreation/Activities Certification.
Degree/Certificate Plans and Course Descriptions
All Internship forms and information can be found in the Forms area.
- Robby Duffield, Manager DSHS Licensing & Certification Services
- Sandra Eames, Owner/Operator Outcome Driven
- Pete Katz, Manager Pedro Gatos Institute on Addiction, Health & Social Theory
- Pam Sander, Director TX Consortium for Therapeutic Recreation/Activity Director Certification
- Vicki Totten, Assistant Professor, Counsel/Director St. Edward’s University
- Linda Williams, Assistant Director Park University
- Liz Salinas, Adjunct Professor Austin Community College
- Monica Lopez, Interpreter Austin Community College
The Consortium of Therapeutic Recreation/Activities Certification
Texas Recreation & Parks Society
National Therapeutic Recreation Society
American Therapeutic Recreation Association
Therapeutic Recreation Directory
Human Services Department
Rio Grande Campus
1212 Rio Grande
Austin, Texas 78701
(512)223-3211 or (512)223-3210