March 22nd, 2012 |
The Austin Community College District is holding a contest to name the college’s QEP, or Quality Enhancement Plan. Deadline for submissions is Friday, April 6, at noon.
All current ACC students and employees can submit ideas. The college will hold a vote April 17-18 to decide the winning name. Participants have a chance to win prizes, including a free iPad 2 for the individual who submits the winning name.
What’s a QEP?
ACC’s accrediting body, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, requires the college to develop a QEP as part of the reaccreditation process. A QEP is a five-year plan to improve the learning environment and increase student learning. ACC is focusing efforts on Developmental Math.
ACC’s Math QEP
ACC’s QEP replaces “Basic Math Skills” (MATD 0330) with a new course, “Basic Math with Collaborative Learning.” The class lets students:
- Practice math skills and learn math-specific study skills.
- Engage in collaborative activities that develop critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Take advantage of extra lab time for math practice with one-on-one assistance.
- Use the QEP entry form on the Name Our QEP webpage to submit your entry no later than noon Friday, April 6, 2012.
- Nominations must:
- Use family-friendly language and positive images
- Contain no more than five words
- Appeal to students, faculty, and staff
- Be instantly understandable
- Connect to math and the purpose of ACC’s QEP
- Be memorable, exciting, personal, and comfortable
- Be unique and distinctive, showcasing the QEP’s unique character (don’t use other organizations’ trademarked names or taglines)
- Be easy to spell and say
- The QEP Naming Committee will review all ballots and select up to five submissions for consideration by the Student Success Initiative Steering Committee (SSISC). The SSISC will narrow the list to three finalists. The three finalists will be announced via email, the ACC home page, and the QEP webpage. (Please note: If no suitable entries are received, the QEP Naming Committee may select another name.)
- Students, faculty, and staff may cast one vote for their favorite QEP name between Wednesday, April 18, and Thursday, April 19, 2012.All people who vote April 18-19 will be entered into a drawing for prizes.
- The individual who submits the winning name will receive a free iPad 2. In the event of multiple entries sharing the same winning name, a drawing will be held to award the iPad 2.
- Winners will be announced on Tuesday, April 24, 2012.
- The name of the QEP will be announced on Tuesday, April 24, 2012.