You must submit college readiness scores or proof of exemption/waiver as part of your application. If you need to take the TSI Assessment to determine your college readiness, complete the online TSI preparation.
What is TSI?
The Texas Success Initiative, or TSI, is a state requirement that students demonstrate college readiness in reading, writing, and math before taking college-level credit classes. You must take the TSI State Test or show proof of exemption or waiver from the requirement.
Check exemptions & waivers
You may be eligible for an exemption or waiver from the Texas Success Initiative requirements based on your college coursework, military experience, major program of study, or previous assessment scores. Do NOT take the TSI Assessment if any of the following circumstances apply.
- You earned an associate degree or higher.
- You earned a C or higher in a college-level course at an accredited institution. The course must be equivalent to an ACC course on the approved ACC TSI course list.
- You have an official transcript from a Texas college or university that shows you meet TSI requirements.
- You were honorably discharged, retired, or released from active duty, Texas National Guard, or military reserves on or after Aug. 1, 1990
- You are on active-duty service in the U.S. military and have completed at least three years’ service before enrolling at ACC.
Level 1 certificate program/major
- You declare a Level 1 certificate program as your major and take only classes listed in your certificate plan. TSI requirements apply if you change your major or take courses outside your Level 1 certificate plan.
- ACC accepts scores on the SAT, ACT, and other approved assessment exams that are less than 5 years old.
|MINIMUM SCORES ELIGIBLE FOR TSI EXEMPTION|
|TEST||READING & WRITING EXEMPTION||MATH EXEMPTION|
|SAT (March 5, 2016 and later)||480 Evidence-Based Reading and Writing||530 Math|
|SAT (prior to March 5, 2016)||1070 Combined with 500 Critical Reading||1070 Combined with 500 Math|
|ACT||23 Composite with 19 English||23 Composite with|
|TAKS||2200 ELA (English Language Arts) with 3+ Writing sub-score||2200 Math|
|STAAR||Level 2 on the English III (EOC)||Level 2 on the Algebra II (E0C)|
- Upper-level math requires additional course assessments.
- Mixing or combining scores from the SAT administered prior to March 5, 2016 and the SAT administered on or after March 5, 2016 is not allowable.
What your scores mean
You have completed Texas Success Initiative requirements for a subject area if you:
- Earn the minimum score listed in the chart below
|State-Approved Minimum Scores to be TSI Complete|
|TSI Assessment||351||5 or 4/340||350|
|Compass (tested and enrolled before 8/26/13)||81||6 or 5/59||39|
|ASSET (tested and enrolled before 8/26/13)||41||6 or 5/40||38|
|Accuplacer (tested and enrolled before 8/26/13)||78||W-6 or 5/80||63|
|THEA/TASP (between 9/1/95 and 8/26/13)||230||220||230|
|THEA/TASP (before 9/1/95)||220||220||220|
Request a test fee waiver
If you are eligible for a Pell Grant, you can request a TSI Assessment fee waiver from Financial Aid.
Request TSI Scores
Complete the Request for TSI Scores if you would like to pull your test scores from a HS/college/University or if you would like to send your scores to another college/University.NOTE: If you are current or former ACC student, request an official Transcript to send to your TSI scores.
If you need to take the TSI Test
View the TSI Assessment Preparation website below to prepare for the TSI Test. Print the certificate at the end to confirm you reviewed the information.