Utilizing critical thinking and the nursing process, the student is expected to:
1. Compare and contrast risk factors associated with infectious diseases
2. Analyze the etiology and pathophysiology for the following disorders:
3. Analyze the signs and symptoms and complications of the above disorders
4. Analyze the following diagnostic tests including purpose, nursing care, normal values and the interpretation of abnormal values.
b) Western blot
d) Viral load
a) Gram-stain cultures
b) Dark-field microscopy
c) Notreponemal serologic test
d) Treponemal serologic test
a) Serologic test for HSV-2,HPV
b) Tissue culture
5. Formulate relevant prioritized nursing diagnosis that address physical, psychosocial, and learning needs for the individual with an infectious disease.
6. Formulate patient and family centered goals with outcome criteria that assist the client toward health promotion, maintenance, and restoration.
7. Analyze and prioritize nursing interventions related to:
1) Drug therapy
2) Diet therapy
3) Surgical interventions
4) Patient teaching; therapeutic communication
5) Consider human and material resources
8. Evaluate goals and explore possible modifications of the nurisng care plan.
9. Examine associated issues and trends