Utilizing critical thinking and the nursing process, the student is expected to:
- Discuss factors which impact the formation of values and common modes of value transmission.
- Discuss 5 professional values and how they may be demonstrated in the clinical setting.
- Describe the process of values clarification, including the valuing process, and its value to professional nursing practice.
- Distinguish between bioethics, clinical ethics, and nursing ethics.
- Compare and contrast the principle – based and care – based approaches for addressing ethical issues as they arise in nursing practice. Include 5 principles to bioethics: autonomy, nonmaleficence, beneficence, justice, and fidelity.
- Define and discuss the nature of an ethical dilemma in nursing practice.
- Describe the effect the following have as ethical issues arise in nursing practice: nursing code of ethics, nursing standards of practice, patient’s bill of rights, and bill of rights for registered nurses.
- Discuss the role of nurse advocate in representing patients, promoting self determination, and being politically active.
- Define law and the four sources (constitutional, statutory, administrative, and common).
- Distinguish between the role of the state board of nursing and professional nursing organizations in the areas of: professional regulation of nursing practice, nurse practice acts, standards, and credentialing.
- Examine components of the Texas Board of Nursing’s Nursing Practice Act.
Discuss specific clients rights (informed consent, advance directives, confidentiality).
- Identify how Texas defines a professional nurse.
- Discuss practice standards that apply to all nurses in Texas.
- Discuss standards that apply specifically to nursing students.
- Discuss nursing scope of practice: what does this mean for students?
Taylor, C.R., Lillis, C., LeMone, P., and Lynn, P. (2011). Fundamentals of Nursing: The Art and Science of Nursing Care (7th ed.), Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer Health: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Chapter 6, pp. 84-107
- Chapter 7: pp. 108-116, pp. 117-118 (Invasion of Privacy), pp. 121-122 (Informed Consent or Refusal), p. 129 (Student Liability)
- Chapter 30: p. 823 (Informed Consent and Advance Directives)
- Complete additional learning experiences as listed in the Blackboard module.
- Complete relevant Study Guide pages