1. Describe how "ruralist" Americans attempted to inhibit change and
reassert traditional values after WWI.
2. Identify the factors which led to the rapid rise and fall of the Red Scare of 1919-1920.
3. Identify the reasons why Americans initially favored Prohibition and describe why Prohibition was so difficult to enforce.
4. Describe the motives, goals, and targets of the Ku Klux Klan. Compare and contrast the KKK of the 1920s with the KKK of reconstruction days.
5. Identify the "soft spots" in the American economy in the 1920s.
Describe the "Second Industrial Revolution." What does this term mean? Describe the economic weaknesses that contributed to the collapse.
6. Describe the reasons for the stock market crash in 1929.
7. Describe the downward spiral of the economy which led to the Great Depression of the 1930s.
8. Describe what government and corporate leaders could have done to lessen the severity of the crash.
9. Compare Hooverís response to the depression with FDRís.
10. Describe the objectives and nature of the "first" New Deal.
11. Describe the rise and fall of FDRís coalition of supporters.
12. Compare and contrast the "first" New Deal with the "second" New Deal. Differentiate between programs stressing relief and recovery with those stressing reform. Evaluate the success of each.
13. Identify the major New Deal programs, their goals, nature, and results.
14. Identify the major critics of the New Deal and describe their alternatives.
15. Compare and contrast the New Deal with other reform movements such as populism and progressivism.
16. Explain the ways in which the New Deal changed American government and society. How did it affect labor, women, and minorities?
17. Explain the decline of the New Deal after 1938.
18. Identify the sources of American isolationism in the 1930s.
19. Trace the evolution of the Neutrality Act from 1935-1939.
20. Describe how FDR edged the US closer toward involvement in WWII.
21. Describe the impact of Pearl Harbor on the American public.
22. Describe the relationship between the US and USSR after WWII. What were the goals of each and how did they attempt to secure those goals?
23. Describe the origins of the Cold War. Discuss the major cold war conflicts of the 1950s.
24. Describe why the US embarked on a policy of containment. Describe the repercussions of such a policy.
25. Describe the events that led to, and the nature of, the 2nd Red Scare.
Back to Pat's History Page