Math assessment tests help guide you to the courses best suited to your math background and degree plan.
Who is required to test
You may be required to take a math assessment test if you are:
- Entering ACC and not exempt or waived from TSI testing .
- Attempting to be declared "college ready" or TSI complete  in math, so that you are no longer required to enroll in developmental math courses.
- Registering for a higher-level math course.
- Attempting to “test out” of a course to be placed in a higher-level course.
Taking math assessment tests
Allow an hour and a half to complete your test.
Discuss your results with an academic advisor  to determine the best course for you.
Pre-enrollment math assessments
First-year math courses
- College Mathematics (MATH 1332)
- Elementary Statistics (MATH 1342)
- College Algebra (MATH 1314)
- Math For Business & Economics (MATH 1324)
IMPORTANT: If you intend to register for MATH 1314 or MATH 1324, you should first consult with a a math or academic advisor to determine if testing is recommended.
Higher-level math courses
If you enroll in the following courses but have not taken the prerequisite math course(s), you must take a math assessment test.
- Trigonometry (MATH 1316)
- Pre Calculus (MATH 2412)
- Calculus I (MATH 2413)
- Business Calculus I (MATH 1425)
'Testing out' of lower level courses
If you have not yet started a math course sequence, you can take a math assessment test to place into a higher-level course. You still must satisfy any prerequisites for the course.
You must have the recommendation of a full-time math faculty member to move to a higher-level course based on your test score.
'Testing out' of developmental courses
If you are not TSI complete  in math, you must enroll in developmental math courses until you fulfill TSI requirements for college readiness.
You may choose to “test out” of developmental courses by taking assessments to demonstrate your knowledge. Talk to a math faculty member or a developmental math advisor before attempting to test out of developmental courses.
Preparing for math assessments
ACC’s Continuing Education Division also offers tuition-based prep courses  for many assessments.