March 26, 2004
EVC 3154 - 3156
1:30 pm to 3:30 pm
Announcements -- Recognitions: Ann Dillon
invited faculty to a workshop for the students with hearing impairments.
Jullie Wauchope will serve as Assistant Task Force Chair for Developmental
- Board Presentation: Handouts of the
presentation to the board members by the chairs of Developmental
Communications and Mathematics were made available to faculty
- Effectiveness Measures -- Spring 2004: Copies
of the new Effectiveness Measures were given to the faculty. Faculty
will review the measures and discuss the results in the curriculum committee
- Developmental Education Plan -- Revised Version:
The latest version of the TSI Developmental Education Plan was handed out at
the meeting for all faculty to review and become familiar with the document.
- MSTA appointments 2004 - 2005: MSTA and MSTA
exception: MSTA appointments were sent to the Dean and faculty will be
advised by Human Resources if they were awarded an MSTA position.
Faculty were made aware of the new administrative rule that removes
categories of MSTA 1, 2, and 3. Two categories remain: MSTA and
- Summer, 2004 -- faculty assignments; Fall, 2004 --
faculty assignments: Faculty were asked to review their summer
assignments and submit their fall teaching requests to the Department Chair.
- Fall, 2004 -- paired courses -- RVS and EVC will not
offer Government and Reading paired courses because of the uncertainty of
the faculty credentials of the faculty assigned to teach the content course.
Paried courses will be taught in the spring.
- Spring, 2005 -- the process for the schedule review
of spring, 2005 has started and the first draft is due at the end of May
- Budget, 2004-2005 process: Budget requests were
submitted and they include the Lexia software that will be used by faculty
teaching students at the Fundamental level.
- Prerequisite check update: at the present time,
the prerequisite check is not available due to programming issues.
- Program Review Update: Developmental Reading
and Writing reviews are complete
- IP (in progress grade): At the present time,
the IP grade has not caused difficulties for faculty and students and the
Department will continue to award the IP grade to those students that have
not progressed sufficiently to exit the course as stated in the college
- Adjunct faculty hiring committee appointments:
Frank Cronin requested that a new faculty member be appointed to chair the
adjunct hiring committee. The new members of the committee are
Patricia Dungan, Stacey Thompson, Dorothy Martinez, Julie Wauchope, Ann
Palmer, and Caryn Newburger. The committee will meet and a new chair
will be elected. The new chair will be the assistant task force chair
for Adjunct Hiring and will receive a three LEH course reassignment to
compensate for the additional duties. An assistant department chair
cannot hold two positions.
- Department Chair election process: Election
chair: Mary Leonard will be in charge of the department chair election
process. Mary will have a call for nominations and coordinate the
election if one is necessary.
- Writing: Report on the Developmental Writing
- Reading: New assistant chair for Reading and
the minutes will be available at the next meeting
- Adjunct Hiring: Several applicants have been
interviewed and recommendations to hire have been submitted to the
Department Chair. Because of the new SACS guidelines, credential
checks are being reviewed carefully to see that the criteria are met before
being placed on the eligibility list
- Assessment/ Advising: report attached to the
- Textbooks/ Budget: All books have been ordered
for the summer and money is available to carry us through the summer
- Next tentative meeting: August 19, 2004
- Developmental Communication Professional Development
Workshops: August 2004 (date and time TBA)