Increase Your Odds Of Getting The Class You Want
ACC provides a waitlist option to students who register for their classes online. This process is active during regular registration, which typically ends the Wednesday before classes start.
Waitlists do not apply during canceled class periods or schedule change (add/drop) periods. Any open seats in classes fill on a first-come, first-served basis during these periods.
How Waitlisting Works
Once a class fills, the registration system automatically opens the waitlist in an approved class. As you attempt to register for a closed class, the system offers you the opportunity to join the waitlist. Students enter the waitlist in chronological order (first-come, first-served).
You will receive an ACCmail notice that you can register for the class if you are at the top of the waitlist when a seat opens. You have until midnight the following day to register for the class. For example, students notified around 5 p.m. Monday of a class opening can claim their seat until midnight Tuesday. After midnight Tuesday, they are removed from the waitlist.
IMPORTANT: You will not be registered automatically for the class—you must take action if you wish to register. Make sure to check your ACCmail account on a regular basis so you don't miss the opportunity. Waitlist notifications are sent by ACCmail around 5 p.m. each weekday.
Waitlist Information in the Online Schedule
Waitlist Information can now be viewed in the online schedule:
[14/36/0] - 14 students currently enrolled, there is a section capacity of 36, and there are no students on the waitlist.
[36/36/2] - 36 students currently enrolled, the section capacity is 36, and there are 2 students on the waitlist.
[34/36/2] - there are 34 students currently enrolled, 36 capacity and the 2 students on the waitlist have been notified of the available seats via ACCmail and have been given permission for the 2 seats. If they don't register before their permission time expires, the notice will go to any additional students who are added to the waitlist. If there are none, the seats will become available to the general student population again.
[24/24] - section does not offer waitlisting.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get on a waitlist for a closed class?
- Log in to Online Services using your ACCeID.
- Go through the same process you normally would to register for the class but when you get the "registration add errors" message, select the "Waitlisted" option from the dropdown menu, then click "Finalize Add/Drop."
- Print your class schedule to verify your add to the waitlist (click on the link that says "Student Class Program" on the registration screen).
How will I know when a seat becomes available?
If you are in the first position on the waitlist when a seat opens, you will receive an email at your ACCmail account. You have until midnight the following day to register for the class; otherwise, the open seat will be released to the next person on the list. The email you receive will include detailed information about the waitlisted class and registration instructions.
IMPORTANT: You will not automatically be registered for the class—you must take action if you wish to register. Make sure to check you student email account on a regular basis so that you don't miss the opportunity.
Help! I can't register for my waitlist class!
There are several reasons you may be unable to register:
- Registration hold: A registration hold can be placed at any time. If you are on a waitlist and have a hold on your registration for any reason, that could easily result in your losing the opportunity to register. It is often difficult to get holds removed at a particular instant (and impossible to get them removed on Saturday and Sunday). If you are on a waitlist, please monitor your status carefully and take care of any holds very promptly. Holds appear in Online Services. Check the "Student Statuses" link in the "Academic Planning" section.
- Duplicate class: The registration system does not allow you to register for two sections of the same course. You must drop your other class before you can claim the seat in your waitlist class.
- Expired deadline: Once your notification is emailed to your ACCmail account, you have until midnight the following day to register for the class. If you do not take action within that time frame, you are no longer eligible to register for the class and you are removed from the waitlist. Be sure to monitor your ACCmail daily if you are on a waitlist!
- Registration system downtime: The registration system is open 24 hours a day except during scheduled downtime. Extended downtimes include 5 p.m. Fridays to 9 a.m. Saturdays. For additional downtime dates, check the registration system information in the course schedule.
When are waitlist notifications emailed?
Waitlist notifications are sent through ACCmail at approximately 5 p.m. daily including holidays. You also can view your waitlist status in Online Services under "Manage My Waitlists."
How do I drop myself from the waitlist?
From the registration menu ("Add or Drop Classes" in Registration Tools) in your ACCeID account, select "Drop" from the dropdown menu next to the course, then click "Finalize Add/Drop."
Can I see my ranking on the waitlist?
No. The Registration System tracks the number of people on the waitlist. Your confirmation email will include that number but does not indicate your placement on the list.
What if I don't get a seat in the class?
A waitlist is no guarantee you can enroll in a class. If you cannot enroll by the end of registration, you can attempt add the class during the schedule change (adds/drops) periods. You also can take the class in an upcoming semester (upcoming schedules are available on the online schedule page ).