Financial Aid: Questions & Answers

General information

Eligibility & academic standing

  • Can I get aid if I am not a high school graduate?

    If you did not graduate high school, you must have a GED or proof of a home school secondary education to be eligible for financial aid.

  • Can I get aid after I earn a certificate or associate degree?

    Earning a certificate or associate degree will not keep you from receiving aid. For example, earning a real estate certificate will not keep you from receiving aid for a real estate associate degree. Keep in mind, there is a maximum number of hours for which you can receive aid in relation to your current major. All previously attempted hours (including hours for a previously earned certificate/associate) must count toward this maximum. For more information about this maximum time frame, refer to our Academic Standards.

  • Can I get aid if I have a bachelor’s degree?

    If you have a bachelor’s degree, you can apply to receive student loans but cannot receive federal grants. To be considered, you must submit a maximum time frame appeal in addition to completing the financial aid application steps.

  • Can international students get financial aid?

    If you are not a U.S. permanent resident or eligible non-citizen, you are not eligible for federal financial aid. If you are an undocumented student with Texas residency status, you may qualify for state aid. See ACC scholarships.

  • Do I have to enroll full time to get financial aid?

    No, but most financial aid is prorated for students enrolled in fewer than 12 credits per semester. See disbursement and refunds information to find out how much aid you actually will receive.

  • Do I repay financial aid if I drop or fail classes?

    Yes, you may be required to repay financial aid in some circumstances. Review the consequences of dropping or withdrawing from a class.

  • Can I still enroll while on financial aid suspension?

    Financial aid suspension does not prohibit you from taking classes at ACC. However, you are responsible for paying tuition and fees.

  • How can I regain my eligibility for financial aid?

    There are two ways you can re-establish your financial aid eligibility:

    • Raise your GPA and completion rate to the minimum standards. (Notify the Financial Aid Office when you believe you have met the requirements for your aid to be reinstated.) OR
    • Receive approval of a submitted appeal.
  • Why do I have different GPAs?

    Your GPA for financial aid will differ from your GPA with the Admissions & Record Office (A&R) when you repeat a class(es) for which you've already earned a grade of A, B, C, D, or F. When calculating your GPA, A&R "replaces" all other grades with the highest grade earned for the class. But Financial Aid does not replace the previously earned grades. All grades earned for repeated classes are included when Financial Aid calculates your GPA for aid eligibility.

  • Do financial aid standards differ for students?

    No. Satisfactory Academic Progress standards apply only to financial aid recipients. If you are on financial aid suspension, you may continue to enroll at ACC if you meet the institutional academic standards of progress.

  • Is course completion calculated differently?

    Yes. Students receiving financial aid must have a higher completion rate (67 percent) than the students not receiving aid. A grade of F counts as an incomplete class in financial aid calculations.