Change of Status

Change of Status

If you are currently in the U.S. with a valid visa other than F-1, you may wish to change your visa to F-1.

Change of Status to F-1 Visa - International Application Priority Deadline
Visa TypeFallSpringSummer
F-1 New StudentsJune 1Oct 1n/a

Tuition rates may be affected

Changing visa categories could affect your tuition rates. Review the residency information regarding questions about tuition rates and consult with the International Student Office before changing status.

How to change visas

There are two ways to change your immigration status to F-1:

  • Leave the U.S., apply at a U.S. consulate or embassy for the F-1 visa (outside the U.S.), and re-enter the U.S. with the F-1 visa.
  • Remain in the U.S. and petition the USCIS for a change of non-immigrant status to F-1.

Once approved for the F-1 visa, you become eligible for all F-1 visa benefits.


  • You must be in valid immigration status for the duration of your change of status request.
  • You must be admitted to an ACC degree program as an F-1 new student.
  • You must be prepared to be enrolled full time at ACC for each fall and spring semester.
  • You must hold an immigration status other than B-1/B-2, C, D, K, M, WT/WB visitor or 212(e) subject J-1.