Creating a culture of communication at ACC is critical to our success. The objective of SSI communications is to develop and implement communications that build and sustain engagement in the Student Success Initiative among all stakeholders— faculty and staff, students, and the community.
SSI Communications Goals
- Increase awareness of SSI
- Encourage open and transparent communications
- Improve channels of communications to all stakeholders
- Create consistent, audience appropriate messaging
- Provide timely and relevant information
SSI Communications Committee
The ad hoc committee meets twice a year and establishes the SSI communications goals while serving as a conduit from the SSI Steering Committee to the Student, Faculty/Staff, and External Communications teams.
- Hector Aguilar, Executive Dean of Continuing Education
- Richard Armenta, Associate Vice President of Student Success
- Lori Blewett, Communications Director of Student Life
- David Borden, Executive Director of Adult Education
- Kathleen Christensen, VP Student Support and Success
- Dorado Kinney, Dean of Student Services, Eastview
- Linda Kluck, Director of Admissions and Records
- Brette Lea, Executive Director of Public Information & College Marketing
- Alejandra Martinez, Spanish Communications Coordinator
- Cheryl Richard, Director of Student Life
- Terry Steward Mouchayleh, Director of Professional Development
- Derek Thomas, Lead Computer Support Technician
- Susan Thomason, Director of Instructional Development Services
- Hazel Ward, Dean of Communications
It Takes a College Workshop
In spring 2010, ACC’s Department of Public Information and College Marketing in partnership with Professional Development hosted a college-wide “It Takes a College” Communications Workshop. More than 120 faculty and staff attended to identify challenges, brainstorm solutions, and work toward improving students’ First Year Experience via enhanced communications. What resulted was an open conversation, recognition that effective faculty/staff communications is critical to success, and implementation of strategies to improve the flow of communications to all.
SSI Communications Tactics
- Registration and Success Guide – A new tool to help students through the registration process, connect them to student services, and encourage completion of their goals.
- Comprehensive website redesign – Improvement to the college-wide website will make it more user-friendly and focus on connecting students, faculty and staff, and the community with the information they need most.
- “i am acc” Get Inspired Campaign – Feature student, faculty, and staff testimonials that create a sense of pride and inspire goal completion.
- Faculty/Staff webpage – A portal for faculty and staff to get timely information, important ACC news, and updates on issues that matter most.
- Inside ACC – An internal communication newsroom.
- Current Student Landing Page – A portal for current students to get timely information, updates, and services.
- All Fac/Staff News Alerts – High-profile, ACC-related news reaches faculty and staff via email first, before the media. Faculty and staff also can subscribe to the ACC Newsroom RSS feed or Inside ACC RSS feed.
- Student Communications Team – A cross-section of adjunct faculty, full-time faculty, employees (Classified, Prof-Tech, and Administrators), and students to guide communications strategies to students.
- Internal Communications Team - A cross-section of adjunct faculty, full-time faculty, employees (Classified, Prof-Tech, and Administrators), and students to guide communications strategies to students.