The IRS data retrieval tool allows many financial aid applicants and their parents to directly transfer tax information from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
When to access the retrieval tool
You must allow time for your tax data to become available before attempting to use the IRS data retrieval tool. The IRS provides the following guidelines:
|IRS Data Availability|
|Electronic tax filers||Within 2 weeks of filing taxes|
|Paper tax filers||Within 6 to 8 weeks of filing taxes|
Who can use the IRS tool
The FAFSA online application will determine whether you are eligible to use the retrieval tool. If you are eligible, you will be directed to the IRS link.
Who cannot use the IRS tool
The IRS data retrieval tool is unavailable if any of the following criteria apply:
- You did not file a tax return.
- The tax filer’s filing status is “Married Filing Separately.”
- The tax filer’s marital status has changed since the tax year ended.
- The tax filer submitted an amended tax return (Form 1040X).
- The tax filer completed a foreign tax return instead of a U.S. tax return.
- The wait period after filing a tax return has not lapsed.