Back to Top
Back to Top

1098-T: Questions & Answers

It  is the responsibility of each taxpayer to determine eligibility for educational tax benefits and how to calculate them. ACC cannot advise you on how to claim the tax benefits. Please contact a tax professional regarding your 1098-T questions. View IRS information on the 1098-T and tax benefits for education.

IRS Form 1098-T

The IRS form 1098-T (Tuition Statement) is issued to all students who attended an eligible education institution and were billed for qualified tuition and fees during the calendar year for college credit courses. The information on Form 1098-T is used to determine if you are eligible to claim an education credit on your Federal Income Tax Return.

ACC does not report the paid amount (Box 1) only the billed amount (Box 2). The amounts reported in boxes 2 through 7 reflect transactions which occurred during the tax year.

Important: The 1098-T indicates the amount that ACC billed you. If you need the amount you actually paid during the tax year, please refer to your receipts; if they are not available, see "If you need a Statement of Account" below.

Students with Alternate Social Security numbers

Due to IRS regulations, you must furnish the school a Tax Identification Number (TIN) for 1098-T purposes.  The most common Tax Identification Number is the social security number or the individual tax identification number (ITIN).  You can update your TIN  by visiting a campus Advising Center.

If you need a Statement of Account

If you need a Statement of Account, you may request this information by sending an email to This information can only be emailed to your ACC email account or mailed to your address on file with ACC.  

Payment information

Payment information can also be obtained from Online Services. After logging in, choose Pay For Classes/Manage My Account, click Continue, click My Account, then click Payment History.

1098-Ts from prior years

Eligible students who consented to electronic delivery can review prior year 1098-Ts from 2008 forward in Online Services. If you need a 1098-T for a year prior to 2008, please send an e-mail to to request a copy.

IRS Form 1098-T Questions & Answers

See IRS information on the tax benefits of education.

I did not receive a 1098-T

If you don’t receive a Form 1098-T, confirm that:

  • Your address on file with ACC is correct.
  • You enrolled in classes that are qualified expenses. For example, Continuing Education classes are not qualified expenses.
  • You have provided ACC with a valid Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) issued by the U.S. Government (SSN, ITIN, ATIN, or EIN).

Box 1 is blank and I paid for my tuition

ACC is not required to complete Box 1. ACC uses the billed amount for reporting to the IRS, not the amount paid. If you need the amount paid, please refer to your receipts; if they are not available, you may access your payment history from the Online Services website or request one. See "If you need a Statement of Account" and "Payment information" above for more information.

Box 2 is zero

If the amount in Box 2 is zero:

  1. The student’s tuition and fees may have been paid by an exemption. The amount billed, less the amount paid by the exemption, is the amount reported in this box. Or,
  2. The student did not have any billing transactions during the calendar year, but had other reportable transactions that occurred during the calendar year.

Box 3 is blank

This box indicates whether the institution has changed its reporting method. ACC did not change its reporting method for the 1098-T.

Box 4 has an amount in it

This box shows any adjustment made for a prior year for qualified tuition and related expenses that were reported on a prior year form 1098-T.

Box 5 is for scholarships and grants

If there is an amount in box 5, it reflects the total amount of scholarships, grants and/or sponsor payments on the student account during the calendar year. Loans are not reported on the 1098-T.

Box 6 is for adjustments to scholarships or grants for a prior year

This box reflects any adjustment to the amount of scholarships or grants that were reported in a prior year.

Box 7 has an 'X' in it

This box indicates whether the amount billed (reported in box 2) for qualified tuition and related expenses relate to an academic period that begins in January through March of the next calendar year.

Box 8 has an 'X' in it

This box indicates the student was at least a half-time student during any academic period that began in the calendar year; meaning the student was registered for 6 hours or more during a semester. If it is blank, the student was registered for fewer than 6 hours each semester.

Boxes 9 and 10 are blank

Boxes 9 and 10 are always blank on 1098-Ts issued by ACC.

Back to Top

Back to Top