Ability to Benefit Program

Questions? Visit our support page.

No high school diploma? No problem!

Adult learners who qualify for the Ability to Benefit program can take college credit courses to earn a Level 1 certificate for selected careers, even if they don’t have a high school diploma.

Who can enroll

The Ability to Benefit program is for adults who do not have a high school diploma or equivalency certificate. Students must qualify for federal financial aid and take an assessment exam to show they can pass a college-level class with some support.

Prior to taking college credit classes

All interested students must enroll in our High School Equivalency/GED program. At the enrollment event (Step 3 of the registration process), you will register for our Pre-College Seminar. Current HSE students may contact us direclty, or ask your HSE instructor for more information. After successful completion of this class, you will be registered into credit courses.  

Begin your college career for free

Once accepted into the program, students commit to a one- to two-year certificate program. The cost of your first two classes — including tuition and fees, textbooks, supplies, and a Capital Metro Green Pass — is covered.

Students are expected to be on time for classes and complete homework. At every step, you have opportunities to show you are ready to continue. After successfully completing the first two classes, you can apply for federal financial aid to pay for additional college.

(If you have a high school diploma or equivalency certificate, talk to an Adult Education advisor about financial aid or other Career Pathways programs that offer free college classes and career training.)

Choose your certificate program

Business Pathways

Computer Science & Information Technology Pathways

Design, Manufacturing, Construction, and Applied Technologies Pathways

Note: A prior criminal conviction could keep you from obtaining the state license required for certain careers. If you have a question about your background and licensure, contact Career Pathways staff to setup an appointment.  You also have the right to request a criminal history evaluation letter from the applicable licensing agency.