Get a head start on your Texas A&M engineering degree by applying for the Texas A&M-Chevron Engineering Academy at Austin Community College. Offered in partnership with Texas A&M University’s College of Engineering, this unique program offers students an opportunity to pursue an engineering degree while co-enrolled at Texas A&M and ACC.
Why the Academy?
The Texas Workforce Commission projects a 25 percent growth in engineering jobs statewide in the next decade. According to the Austin Chamber of Commerce, demand for engineers in Central Texas is expected to reach 4,840 by 2022. In response to this anticipated growth, Texas A&M and ACC created the Texas A&M-Chevron Engineering Academy at ACC. Supported by Chevron, the Academy provides talented students an opportunity to pursue their engineering degree in a co-enrollment program between Texas A&M and ACC.
What the Academy Offers You
- Admission to the College of Engineering at Texas A&M University-College Station from day one.
- An opportunity to take Texas A&M engineering courses from Texas A&M faculty on the ACC Highland Campus (HLC)
- An opportunity to join a community of Engineering Academy peers by taking math, science and engineering courses with other Engineering Academy students.
- An opportunity to participate in student activities and organizations at both institutions to the extent possible.
- An affordable pathway to earning a Texas A&M Engineering degree.
Students who join the fall 2019 cohort will be required to complete their math, science and engineering courses in special designated Engineering Academy class sections at the Austin Community College Highland campus. Below is an example of the semester schedules.
- (TAMU) ENGR 102 Engineering Lab I: Computation
- (ACC) MATH 2413 Calculus I
- (ACC) CHEM 1309 General Chemistry for Engineering Majors – Lecture
- (ACC) CHEM 1109 General Chemistry for Engineering Majors – Lab
- (TAMU) ENGR 216 Experimental Physics & Engineering Lab II: Mechanics
- (ACC) MATH 2414 Calculus II
- (ACC) PHYS 2425 Engineering Physics I
- (TAMU) ENGR 217 Experimental Physics & Engineering Lab III: Electricity and Magnetism
- (ACC) MATH 2415 Calculus III
- (ACC) PHYS 2426 Engineering Physics II
- (TAMU) MEEN 221 Statics and Particle Dynamics
- (ACC) MATH 2420 Differential Equations
In parallel, students will complete the other general education requirements of the ACC Associate of Science – Engineering degree.
Enrollment in the Academy / Pre-Qualification
The Engineering Academy is for all ACC students who have achieved a high school diploma or equivalent and are pre-calculus or calculus ready as determined by ACC.
To pre-qualify with ACC as Precalculus or Calculus-ready:
- Your current ACC transcript must show college credit for Trigonometry, Precalculus or Calculus I with a grade of A, B or C. An indication on your transcript of credit by exam (AP, CLEP) or transfer credit from another institution of an equivalent course with a grade of A, B or C is also acceptable.
- You must have earned credit for MATH 1314, College Algebra, in the Spring 2019 semester (only) with a grade of A, B, or C.
- You must have a satisfactory score on the new ACC Mathematics ALEKS PPL assessment test. The NEW standard to qualify as Precalculus-ready is an ALEKS PPL score of at least 65% . A score of at least 80% is required to qualify as Calculus-ready.
Please note: TAMU requires us to pre-qualify you based on your current transcript or test scores. ALEKS PPL test scores or course credit completed after the TAMU application deadline cannot be used to pre-qualify you to apply for admission to the Fall 2019 Academy.
Interested students must:
- First secure admission to ACC.
- Receive math-level pre-qualification from ACC – After applying to ACC, students interested in the Academy are required to fill out a pre-qualification form.
Notice: Thank you for your interest in the Texas A&M-Chevron Engineering Academy at ACC! We are no longer accepting applications for the Fall 2019 cohort. The application for the Fall 2020 cohort will open on January 1, 2020 - please consider applying!
Contact Marc Jimenez at email@example.com with any questions you have about the Engineering Academy, and we look forward to seeing your application starting on January 1!
- Apply to Texas A&M University – A special A&M Academy application link will be emailed directly to qualified applicants after prospective students are successfully math-level pre-qualified in Step 2 above. Note: New ACC students must take the SAT or ACT prior to application to Texas A&M University.
Requests to be pre-qualified as Precalculus or Calculus-ready are currently being accepted. Texas A&M will accept applications from candidates who are math-level pre-qualified from January 1, 2019 through June 30, 2019.
Financial Aid Information
To receive financial aid students must:
ACC notifies students via email once financial aid is awarded or if additional documents are required