Residency Status & Undocumented Students

Texas law (Senate Bill 1528) allows you to qualify for Texas residency status, and if you are an undocumented student who lived in Texas for the 36 months before completing your high school diploma or GED.

Eligibility requirements

You must:

  • Graduate from a Texas high school or receive your GED in Texas.
  • Live in Texas for at least three consecutive years before graduating from high school.
  • Live in Texas 12 months before enrolling in a college or university.
  • Declare your intention to file for permanent residency when you become eligible.

To apply for Texas residency status

Submit the Senate Bill 1528 affidavit (PDF) to any campus Admissions and Enrollment Office.

If you qualify

If you qualify for Texas resident status, you can: